Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child book
  • I like all of the excitement in this book
  • There are assasins, a ruthless killer, all sorts of nasty criminals and the best
  • I think the setting in that scene had a lot to do with it
  • I think I was a little disappointed that the killer was just a mere human instead of being supernatural

• by bookwyrm

Wow – this was a really good book! One could say it was a superb murder mystery with a supernatural twist. The truly bizarre deaths – how people were cooked from the inside out but with the outer skin mostly untouched – really had me hooked from the first chapter. Nor could I make up my mind if it was a cleverly planned murder or if it really was supernatural in nature. That alone makes it excellent. Not many authors can keep you guessing like that but these two can. And the pacing was just perfect, too.

I like all of the excitement in this book. There is endless action and sneaking around dangerous locations, both in the USA and in Europe. There

are assasins, a ruthless killer, all sorts of nasty criminals and the best: a big piece of land with lots of hidden booby traps. I thought that was the best! It was very intense and filled with danger, even if it was near the center of the book instead of at the end. I think the setting in that scene had a lot to do with it: night, crawling through fields on one’s belly while avoiding wires, deep pits, buildings set to collapse on a person, etc. That part was a lot like Indiana Jones.

And I really liked the somewhat odd FBI Agent: Penderghast. He’s weird but clever. I really had to laugh when he effortlessly outsmarted this assassin that had been ...

• watching him for three days. The assassin was locked in a room across the street for three days, never went outside and yet Penderghast knew he was there! That was just so cool! And for some reason he reminds me a bit of Sherlock Holmes – maybe because he is so smart or maybe the words he uses… I was also intrigued by what was inside this one mysterious box that was in the story. I never dreamed it was what it turned out to be. I never would have guessed that in a billion years. But surprises are good. Apparently the whole point of everything was to get this box and the contents within.

I admit I didn’t guess who the main

villain was, either. Maybe I should have but I didn’t. That’s OK though.

The ending was a tad drab and not too exciting, a bit anticlimactic really. I think I was a little disappointed that the killer was just a mere human instead of being supernatural: that took all of the mystery and interesting weirdness out of the story. It’s a good read but I think the ending is a tad on the weak side.

Its clear to me a lot of historical research went into this book. It’s chock full of all sorts of facts on everything from radiation to how violins are made.

I rate this book an “8” because it has a weak ending that is difficult for me to remember.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1717021425240428/k2311a0217/2.17.11