Blasphemy by Douglas Preston book
  • I wasn’t too sure what exactly this book was about – except a super computer (super collider) – but it turned out to be a pretty interesting story
  • I like that there was a surprise inside this book
  • I really love unexpected things in books and this one kept me guessing
  • The scary thing in this book for me dealt with human behavior and I think Blasphemy is worth reading just for that insight

• by bookwyrm

I wasn’t too sure what exactly this book was about – except a super computer (super collider) – but it turned out to be a pretty interesting story. Maybe “Brimstone” was more exciting, but this one has a better, clearer message inside it (I read this book right after reading Brimstone). As well as having some truly frightening moments, moments made even scarier as this sort of thing has happened and could happen again. And as the title suggests, the book is also about religion – mainly how religion clashes with science. Both sides of the argument are well portrayed, as well as a third view where the two can co-exist for

some people. The argument: Did Gog create the universe or was it the Big Bang that did it?

I like that there was a surprise inside this book. It may not be as big as some of the surprises in previous books, but it was pretty decent and I didn’t see it coming at all. I really love unexpected things in books and this one kept me guessing. I had thought one thing was going on and then it turned out to be something completely different! The author is so clever and devious!

It’s also interesting that this novel shows how a new religion starts. I never really thought about that before,

• so it is something new.

The scary thing in this book for me dealt with human behavior and I think Blasphemy is worth reading just for that insight. It’s frightening what people will do in the name of God and for their beliefs, even form mobs and kill many innocent people. Things like that have happened in the past (the Crusades for example) so it is scary.

The conversations with God in this book were interesting. See, the super collider made contact with God and he was talking to them through the super computer. A lot of it was over my head but then surely God would be very, very intelligent. Right? It did

seem to make sense though, as the characters understood it better and explained it during the story. By over my head, I mean questions like this: Name a number between zero and one. To me there is no number between zero and one unless it’s a fraction but “God” named some sort of number I had never heard of…

I admit I never heard of a super collider before. Do they really exist? And can they really make matter and antimatter? It sounds like something from Star Trek, not a thing that should be under the Arizona desert!

Hmmm…. I rate this book a “9” as in many ways I think it was superior to Brimstone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1717021425200428/k2311a0217/2.17.11