Merrick Canned Cat Food  » Pets  »
0.5
  • I think that’s the major reason my cats didn’t want to eat it

• by bookwyrm

Recently I tried four different flavors of Merrick canned cat food on my two cats: California Roll, Southern Delight, Grammy’s Pot Pie and Turducken. The only one they seemed to like a little bit was the Turducken. The others they outright refused and showed zero interest in eating.

The food in these cans seemed to be paste-like. It was soft and had a strange texture very much like the paste (flour and water glue) you would find in a jar. I

think that’s the major reason my cats didn’t want to eat it. The recipes seem to add a lot of vegetables so they probably added too many, resulting in a food that was too soft. A more meaty texture would have been better received by my cats, but that is not the case here. If you want a meat-like texture in your cat food, then look elsewhere. Nor were there any juice in these cans: just the odd paste.

A good scent ...

• was lacking as well. Even fresh opened I really didn’t notice any decent meat-like smells. That is pretty sad, as cats base a lot of their eating on how things smell. A stronger scent would have been much better! Grammy’s Pot Pie is supposed to be chicken, Turducken is turkey, duck and chicken, Southern Delight is chicken, catfish and crawfish and California Roll is salmon, tuna and crab. One would think with all of those meats and seafoods that there would
        be a stronger scent but there sadly isn’t.

Nor did it matter how I fixed this stuff: straight from the cat or adding a little hot water to it… my cats just didn’t like this stuff at all.

The food seems healthy enough, I have nothing against the ingredients really (although they do contain grain like barley) but this food is just not flavorful enough for my cats. Due to that, I rate it a “1” as they just wouldn’t touch the stuff.

Jeremy McGee says :

This is a review on the cat food I have been buying my cats for many years now. Merrick purrfect bistro chicken flavor. The cats absolutely love this, and seem to prefer this food to other types I’ve tried with them. They literally gobble this food up. I like that it’s grain free and has good ingredients in it. The price is a bit high, but the quality of the food definitely reflects that. It’s worth the investment. I can tell that it’s made a difference in my cat’s coat. They feel softer, and they seem to love the food. I would recommend letting your cats try this brand out.

Jeremy McGee says :

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2917021425130428/k2311a0217/2.17.11