Dorcy Hawkeye L.E.D. Flashlight  » Electronics  »
0.5
  • When new batteries didn’t fix the issue, I checked the bulb

• by bookwyrm

I used this flashlight about three or four months until it died without warning. The package it came in claims this flashlight has a “lifetime bulb” that never needs replacing – but what it fails to mention is that the wires connected to the bulb short circuit! When my flashlight refused to work one night, I first thought it was the batteries. When new batteries didn’t fix the issue, I checked the bulb. Unscrewing the top part of the flashlight where the bulb is located, I smelled a strong odor of smoke! And when I looked very closely at the wires near the bulb (Not inside the bulb) I could see melted wire coverings and bare wires sticking out. I had never heard of a flashlight doing this before, but this one did! I was really surprised, as I

didn’t even know a flashlight could burn through the wires like this. I hadn’t changed battery types or brand, so I’m sure it wasn’t that. Nor did I drop it recently. I should add that this flashlight was strongly built – very solid body – and the “top cover” where the bulb is located fits very, very snuggly and I didn’t smell any smoke until after I unscrewed it. Unscrewing it wasn’t exactly easy, either. So if your flashlight burns out like mine did, you won’t smell any smoke until you unscrew it. The top cap keeps one hundred percent of the smoke odors inside the flashlight.

I also thought it was very odd that the company name – Dorcy – is not anywhere on the flashlight. The flashlight came on a little cardboard attached within a hard piece of ...

• plastic; you know the kind of packaging I mean. These days’ companies seem to stick their names on everything so I do ponder why Dorcy didn’t put their name on this flashlight. I guess they expect people to toss out the cardboard with the company name on it long ago, except I saved mine for writing reviews. It makes me think they want you to forget who made the flashlight so you might buy another from the same company without knowing it, as by then they might have a new design out and not recognize it. These days, most people don’t keep packaging, especially not for little items like flashlights.

The back of the cardboard also states that if the product is defective, to return it to Dorcy for repairs or replacement, yet there is no address or phone number.

That is weird, too. So how can I return it without an address? The fine print also says “made in China” so does that mean high postage to China to get a flashlight fixed? It would be cheaper to toss it out.

This flashlight was small, a light grey and it had a black rubberized grip around the handle. Using it was easy until it short circuited and it did not seem to be a battery hog as some other flashlights are. The light was bright, too.

However, short circuits are dangerous. They are a fire hazard and they can’t be repaired, either (not like a bulb could be replaced, but the bulb on this flashlight did not seem accessible for replacement). Therefore I rate this flashlight only a “1”, especially since it died within such a short length of time. That is just unacceptable.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1617021425090428/k2311a0217/2.17.11