Food and Family Magazine: 2003 Summer Issue  » Media  »
1.5
  • I like when summer rolls around because it means some good outdoor cooking as well as fresh fruits
  • Because it's a summer issue the featured food was melons because the summer time is consumed by tons of fruit
  • There were some really great demonstrations about how to cut the melons in creative ways which I thought was neat because one of the cuts allowed you to fill the center which I thought was creative
  • There were barely any drink recipes which I found odd as well
  • There were barely enough outdoor cooking recipes in my opinion, a lack of dessert recipes, and a lack of drink recipes

• by C.Channing

I like when summer rolls around because it means some good outdoor cooking as well as fresh fruits; however, I didn’t really the Food and Family Magazine: 2003 Summer Issue because it didn’t have an abundance of summer recipes I was hoping to read about.

The front cover of Food and Family Magazine: 2003 Summer Issue was actually picture-perfect because it’s bright green which reminds me of spring. The food photographed on the cover is a lemon-lime daiquiri dessert which was actually really good when I made it, but it was one of a few recipes I could use for summer outdoor cooking that I liked.

Because it’s a

summer issue the featured food was melons because the summer time is consumed by tons of fruit. The fruits in the feature are melons: watermelon, cantaloupe, crenshaw, and casaba. There were some really great demonstrations about how to cut the melons in creative ways which I thought was neat because one of the cuts allowed you to fill the center which I thought was creative. There was also a demonstration about how to cut a melon, but my mom raised me on melons and therefore I didn’t really need that particular tutorial.

A great deal of the recipes featured in this summer issue had to do with grilling ...

• and salads, but there were only a few of them for some reason. The magazine focused on more article written material as opposed to the actual recipes. I liked some of the salad recipes in the magazine because nothing goes better with outdoor grilling like a freshly made salad.

My biggest disappointment of the 2003 summer issue was that there were barely any dessert recipes. Summer is made up of desserts and the magazine featured any. There were a few that I wrote down for my own personal use, but there were two or three that I liked. There were barely any drink recipes which I found odd

as well. There was one and that’s all I remember seeing.

Overall, the Food and Family Magazine: 2003 Summer Issue was not my favorite issue at all. There were a few recipes I liked, but the overall feel of it seemed poorly pulled together. There were barely enough outdoor cooking recipes in my opinion, a lack of dessert recipes, and a lack of drink recipes. The summer is supposed to be about having a good time with family and friends, and great outdoor cooking, but this issue lacked that feeling which made for a poor read. This particular issue was okay but nothing that screamed “Wow” to me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3917021424830428/k2311a0217/2.17.11