Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
  • It has two other siblings, the Xperia Mini and the Xperia Mini Pro which I think are very useless based on personal experience
  • The Xperia X10 came with a host of features such as a 4 inch screen which I found to be nicely big, and an 8MP built-in camera with LED flash and a host of other features It didn't take a lot of convincing by the salesman for me to buy this product
  • However after I bought it, I realized that it had a 384MB of RAM, even though most of its competitors had 512MB
  • Sony, on the other hand, has never disappointed and I thought that this trend would keep being true
  • That said, I wouldn't recommend this phone, though it's awesome

• by tolstoy

The Sony Ericsson X10 Xperia is the first phone that Sony Ericsson has made based on the Android Operating system. It has two other siblings, the Xperia Mini and the Xperia Mini Pro which I think are very useless based on personal experience. The Xperia X10 came with a host of features such as a 4 inch screen which I found to be nicely big, and an 8MP built-in camera with LED flash and a host of other features

It didn’t take a lot of convincing by the salesman for me to buy this product. I had read its reviews in many magazines and I had made up my mind to buy one. However after I bought it, I realized that it had a 384MB of RAM, even though most of its competitors had 512MB. One other thing that I found very disappointing was that it lacked multi touch, even though most of its competitors including the Samsung Galaxy S. In terms of specifications, the Samsung Galaxy S looks to be a much better phone, but I opted for the Sony over it because I have used many Samsungs in the past and all of the time I have been left with a bitter taste in my mouth. Sony, on the other hand, has never disappointed and I thought that this trend would keep being true. Also, in my opinion the Sony looks better and feels better; the Samsung feels just far too plasticky.

The Xperia came with Android 1.6, which in my opinion should be immediately upgraded since I find it a bit too old now. The phone came preinstalled with 2 main apps: Timescape

and Mediascape. Timescape keeps records of actions you did to contact your saved numbers a three dimensional window effect. Mediascape is Sony’s brand of media management.

Unlocking the phone’s screen requires that you do a 45 degree semi circle swipe. The menu is accessed by sliding it up from the bottom of the screen. I found this to be extremely jerky, and it made me wonder if it honestly had a 1 GHz processor.

I found internet to be generally good, but was disappointed to find that it didn’t support flash. Websites were very well rendered, but the lack of multi touch meant that I couldn’t pinch to zoom the way you do in an iPhone. There was a zoom button at the bottom of the screen and using this felt a bit too primitive for me. Also, I experienced a few difficulties when selecting links on the screen since I found the screen to be a bit too sensitive and many times I ended up selecting the wrong links especially when many links were grouped together in tight groups. This also happened a lot when scrolling, sometimes the scrolling action accidentally selected a link.

In terms of functionality, I found this phones interface easy to work with and voice quality through the earpiece very clear. However, I found the speaker phone to be of very bad quality, and it produced muffled sound. Also, even at maximum the volume from the speaker phone wasn’t very loud. Apart from this small sound issue, I also had a problem with dialing numbers from the call log. The process of doing this on this phone is overly complicated ...

• in my opinion. In order to do this, you have to press on the number on the call log list, which brings up all the details of the person in the phone book. You then have to press the phone number from these details, which brings up another screen that asks if you want to dial it. I don’t know why such a simple procedure has to be made so complicated.

Apart from that, I also had a few problems when it came to texting, mainly because the screen is so sensitive that sometimes, the wrong key on the on screen keyboard was pressed. Predictive text input solved this most of the time, but sometimes it replaced my intended word with another that was just wrong. However, I found the message layout to be very similar to the iPhones message layout, so it was very easy for me to adapt to it since I had used the iPhone for quite a while.

Battery life on this phone isn’t very good, it lasts around 13 hours before needing to be charged. I think the large screen has a lot to do with this since it consumes more battery power because of its big back light and larger screen area. Battery life was significantly reduced when applications were left to run in the background.

I upgraded the Xperias OS from Android 1.6 to 2.1 in an effort to see whether the above named problems would be solved. The upgrade was very straightforward since I only had to follow instructions on the screen of the Xperia. After the upgrade, I noticed that the screen was darker than before, and

the unlock motion had been changed from the curve to sliding across the screen much like an iPhone. After unlocking, the menu came up and I must admit that it was much faster than before. The main screen now had more space for other icons, and the phone was generally more responsive and much faster. Calling from the log was also improved, now it only needed pressing the number on the call log and pressing the call key. Battery life was also improved to twenty four hours and the phone could now record videos at 720p high definition.

However, my joy was short lived and a major issue occurred soon after the update. The phone now started frequently restarting for no reason whatsoever. This happened even while in the middle of calling or texting, and it has annoyed me to no end. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to fix this issues, but to this date I haven’t been able to find anything that works.

It would be very difficult for me to recommend this phone, but at the same time I have to say that I really love it, even with its flaws. When it works, it works wonderfully but the only problem is that those periods when it works wonderfully are very short lived. I would say that this phone would give the iPhone 4 some competition, if only its problems were fixed. That said, I wouldn’t recommend this phone, though it’s awesome. I would suggest that one waits for the Xperia X12 to be produced, as I think they may address all those issues in the next iteration of the Xperia.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3716021423950128/k2311a0216/2.16.11