Philips HR 1861 Juicer
  • I did a bit of research in order to get the best but that didn't help, I was pretty much as clueless as I had been before I started
  • I came across a Phillips Juicer model number HR1861 in Argos and before long I bought it, at a price of £99.99
  • I have never been a fan of white plastic when it comes to appliances since I think they look cheap, and eventually discolour
  • The juicer works very quickly, and I found that it is important to have the supplied jug in it's place before switching it on since once you switch it on, it takes a very short time for the juice to come out and if the jug isn't in place, it spills all over the place
  • All things considered, I'd recommend this juicer to anyone interested in getting one

• by tolstoy

I recently decided to get myself a juicer. I did a bit of research in order to get the best but that didn’t help, I was pretty much as clueless as I had been before I started. All I knew that whatever I got had to be dishwasher safe since I really hate washing up. I came across a Phillips Juicer model number HR1861 in Argos and before long I bought it, at a price of £99.99.

The juicer looks very stylish. I have never been a fan of white plastic when it comes to appliances since I think they look cheap, and eventually discolour. The Philips, however, is finished in brushed aluminum. It has other parts of it made of black or transparent plastic. In terms of how much space it takes, the Philips takes

up a little more space than say an electric kettle. This kettle is powered by mains electricity and has an electric cord attached to the rear.

This particular juicer comprises many parts. Most of these parts can be washed in a dishwasher apart from the aluminum cylinder which forms the main part of the juicer (it contains the motor, and is connected to the power supply). However, it rarely gets dirty and a quick wipe with a damp cloth is sufficient to to clean it. It doesn’t get dirty though, so only needs a wipe with a damp cloth occasionally.

I found this juicer very easy to use. You don’t need to prepare the fruit at all, as long as it is washed and any large stones or seeds removed and any thick skins peeled. This is

because thick skins and large seeds can damage the filter. The juicer has two speeds, a slower speed for soft fruits and a faster speed for harder fruits such as pears. While operational, the juicer does make some noise but it’s not excessive. It vibrates quite a bit but thanks to it’s sucker shaped rubber feet, it doesn’t move around. The juicer works very quickly, and I found that it is important to have the supplied jug in it’s place before switching it on since once you switch it on, it takes a very short time for the juice to come out and if the jug isn’t in place, it spills all over the place.

Since this juicer is dishwasher friendly, I didn’t have much of a problem cleaning it. Most of its parts can be ...

• Philips HR 1861 Juicer
      cleaned in the dishwasher. The juicer comes with a nylon brush which I found very useful for scrubbing the juicer’s filter before putting it in the dishwasher. I started doing this (scrubbing the filter before putting it in the dishwasher) after I realized that the dishwasher sometimes didn’t get small particles out of the small pores in the filter. The messiest part about cleaning this juicer is removing the pulp after use. The receptacle located at the juicer’s rear can usually just be tipped upside down to remove the pulp. Other components of the juicer can get some pulp in them, and I found that it is good practice to at least wipe the pulp off before putting these parts into the dishwasher. One thing that I quickly learnt is that it is very important to
      clean the juicer immediately after use. A few times I have left it without cleaning it for around twenty four hours and after such a duration, mould almost always grows on the food remnants.

All in all, I think that this juicer is a wise investment. It has significantly increased the amount of fruits that my household consumes, and it produces tastier and more nutritious drinks than shop bought juices. The only issue that one may raise with it is its price tag, which may seem a bit over the top but I think it’s worth it. Also, in my experience cleaning it can be a bit tedious and sometimes frustrating. All things considered, I’d recommend this juicer to anyone interested in getting one. It has served and continues to serve me well, and I use it regularly these days.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1616021423860128/k2311a0216/2.16.11