Nokia N8
  • After a brief search, i decided to get myself the Nokia N8
  • I got myself a SIM free version from Nokia and it cost me £429.00 The phone comes with a large number of specifications but in my opinion, most users won't understand most of these things
  • In terms of battery life, I found that as long as I do not use it heavily, it needs charging every other day
  • The clarity of pictures and videos impressed me a lot, which is no wonder since the phone can display sixteen million colours
  • Save for the few glitches, I think this phone has been put together very well and would recommend it to anyone

• by tolstoy

I recently had to upgrade my phone so I went off in search of one. I was looking for a smartphone that has a decent camera, internet capability and a radio. After a brief search, i decided to get myself the Nokia N8. It is available in Silver, dark grey, orange, Blue and Green; I opted to get the one in silver. I got myself a SIM free version from Nokia and it cost me £429.00

The phone comes with a large number of specifications but in my opinion, most users won’t understand most of these things. The battery is completely within the case and is not accessible unless you unscrew the back cover. This makes battery replacement a bit of a hassle but at the same time it makes the phone very compact and it felt reassuringly solid in my hands.

In terms of battery life, I found that as long as I do not use it heavily, it needs charging every other day. This is considering that I play music for around one and a half hours each day. Whenever I use it more heavily, I have to charge it every day and when I play games the battery dies n an hour.

I had used the Nokia N96 which I found to be very useless especially when multitasking. It used to crash a lot and restart itself even when new. I therefore was a bit concerned that this Nokia would have the same issues. However, I was pleased to

find that the new software is much more stable and to date, my phone has never had any crashing issues.

This phone can be connected to other devices such as computers, TVs and other phones through a bewildering array of connectivity options. It comes with Bluetooth, HDMI, USB, FM Transmitter and a USB connector. Bluetooth connections to my old phone was very simple and I was able to transfer all my notes and contacts via bluetooth without any hassle. I also liked the fact that while connected to a computer via USB, the phone charges.

The 3.5” touch screen displays images and videos beautifully. The clarity of pictures and videos impressed me a lot, which is no wonder since the phone can display sixteen million colours. The touch screen’s sensitivity is not bad though I find it unresponsive sometimes. On several occasions, I have had to touch it repeatedly for it to register my request and I have found it to be a bit frustrating. I would be very happy if Nokia could fix this, either through a software update or something of the sort. Generally, however, I have been very impressed at how detailed and clear the screen is.

The phone has three customizable home screens, and you can add up to four widgets on each. However, I have found it very difficult to put different ones onto the homepage. I managed to find a guide for doing this after three days of searching the net, and I was very disappointed ...

• that they didn’t make this process more user friendly. This problem is compounded by the fact that the phone did not come with a manual, so I had to figure out everything on my own.

In my opinion, the camera of this phone is its best feature. It produces photos of excellent quality, and I found that it produces better looking photos in daylight than at night, even when using the flash. I also found that the zoom function works wonderfully; it did not pixellate pictures like most other phones do when you zoom in. The pictures were lifelike and if you have this phone, you don’t need to get a digital camera. The camera is also capable of recording 720p HD videos. The only problem I had with the video camera was that the resultant files were a bit too large, probably because they were recorded in high quality. However, when viewed on the computer, I found that the videos were not as sharp as I had hoped, which was a bit disappointing. The audio, however, is nice and crisp.

I also loved the phones music player, which was easy to use. It was very simple to add music to the device from my computer, and creating playlists on it was also a breeze. The audio playback is very clear and I would easily use this instead of my iPod to listen to music. The supplied earphones are very high quality, which I think is surprising as I find that most

Nokia audio accessories aren’t that good. The phone has a button on its side which is used to lock and unlock the screen. However, one thing I like about it is that one can still control volume even when the screen lock is on and all the other buttons are inactive.

Generally, I love this phone. After my initial difficulties in customization of the home screens, it is now very simple to use and it also looks really smart and modern. Internet access is pretty straightforward and I can access most sites, even the ones with flash content, though high internet costs is something I may have to consider. Its battery life is nothing to speak of, but considering how many features this phone has to support, this is understandable. I expected it to have software stability issues but so far, I have been all smiles. The operating system is stable and handles multi tasking very well.

The main issues that I have with this phone is that it sometimes delays when loading applications, and that sometimes it lags when registering my touch though this isn’t often. Also, I would appreciate it if the onscreen keyboard were a little larger. That said, however, I am very proud to own the N8. It does what I want it to do very well, and has a nice camera that takes amazing photos. Save for the few glitches, I think this phone has been put together very well and would recommend it to anyone.

Nokia N8

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3716021423850128/k2311a0216/2.16.11