Dr. Kaufman’s Sulfur Soap Bar  » Cosmetics  »
4.8
  • We were both having pimple problems and when I caught her using the soap one night, I thought what a weird kind of soap it was
  • As for my pimple problem, indeed, it took it away
  • I know this for sure because once I switched back to Safeguard, there it was, the pimples would return
  • This is what I like about constantly experimenting all my life
  • In conclusion, the soap in question is excellent and definitely walks the talk, and compared to other medicated soaps, this one is not that expensive, too

• by RichieMogwai

I used Dr. Kaufman’s sulfur soap for about a year, following the lead of my sister, the eldest sibling in the family. We were both having pimple problems and when I caught her using the soap one night, I thought what a weird kind of soap it was. It is in a yellow box with all the insignia and patent. The packaging looks like a blast from the past, it reminded me of the look of soap in the old Western days. However, this did not bother me at all. What it took getting used to was the smell. I have no idea if it was indeed the scent of sulfur, although it seemed like it was laced

with some soap-making ingredient. Nevertheless, the smell is not atrocious or anything like that. After a week of using it, I somehow got used to the distinctive, medicated smell.

Luckily, other members of the family had no problems with the smell. On the contrary, many of them had told me that it in fact smelled very clean, despite the fact that whole family, save my sister and I, was into Safeguard. Even my close friends notice the clean scent, having brought it to my attention a couple of times. This surprised me because I did not really think that I could carry that smell around all day.

With all the positive feedback, it was not ...

• long before I got so used to bathing with Dr. Kaufman’s sulfur soap. It seems to last just about as long as a bar of Safeguard, and it stands its ground, too, being a square, yellow-brown soap bar that seems hard enough to take a beating from the shower on a regular basis. As for my pimple problem, indeed, it took it away. I know this for sure because once I switched back to Safeguard, there it was, the pimples would return. Now I do not even know if sulfur is safe to use on the skin or what, after all it is some kind of earth mineral like feldspar or silica, but since a doctor discovered the formulation,
        I thought I was in good hands so I went along with it.

I am glad I did. This is what I like about constantly experimenting all my life. Honestly, sometimes it makes me feel like a guinea pig, but on second thought, the products that I am trying inclusive of the Dr. Kaufman’s sulfur soap, have been tested before the manufacturers went full-scale on the market. In conclusion, the soap in question is excellent and definitely walks the talk, and compared to other medicated soaps, this one is not that expensive, too. It not only solved my pimple problem. For a person who sweats too much, this cleans so effectively within a 24-hour period that I tossed out my deodorant already.

Anne says :

Does this soap help in reducing scar marks? Dark spots on my sister’s legs ?

kay says :

Hi Anne. This soap can help heal the skin and thus reduce scar marks but not lighten or diminish it. What caused the dark spots? If is fungi or scabies related then the soap can help. For proper treatment I suggest you have the dark spots checked by a doctor.

Galega says :

It may depend on the nature of scar marks that your sister has. For examples, blemishes emanating out of pimples and acne may be tackled by Dr. Kaufman’s Sulfur Soap. However, it may not be efficient in the treatment of accidental or surgical scars.

If the dark spots on your sister’s leg is there because of some skin issues, you may advise your sister to use this soap. Otherwise, look for a good anti stretch marks cream.

Carl says :

Hi. I surfed the web about Sulfur soaps. Dr. Kaufman sulfuric soap is made of sulfur. There is one warning that says Do not use salicylic acid/sulfur soap on open skin wounds, moles, birthmarks, genital warts, warts on the face, or warts growing hair. I wonder why not use on those… Do anyone know why?

Galega says :

You are having open wounds, and hence you might be getting treatment for the same. Using Sulfur on open wound may interfere with your treatment. It can make the wound worse.

Gladys says :

I just want to ask, if Dr. Kaufman`s Sulfur soap really help to cure acne? I`ve got my red acne when i used a wrong astringent and it really irritate my skin. I`ve try Likas Papaya soap but after 3 weeks using on that soap. I don`t see any result yet except the soap whiten my skin more… That`s why i want to change my soap immediately and i don`t want my acne getting worse. Please help me on my problem. Pls. answer my question ASAP. THANKS

madie001 says :

I will help with your acne because it will dry it out. One of the key ingredients of this soap is sulfur that removes the oil from the skin and other skin impurities.Just make sure that you are not allergic to sulfur and make a patch test with this product 24 hrs before using it in your face.

Richie Mogwai replies :

I’m glad you asked my question. The answer is yes, this soap definitely helps reduce acne and pimples. I am a living example of this fact. If I didn’t use this soap in my 20s and 30s, when my pimple problem was at its, peak–I would not have been able to solve the problem.

dexter says :

can Dr. Kaufman’s sulfur soap whitens skin??what are the other good effects of the soap?

Elle says :

Hi Dexter :) Although my skin didn’t become whiter when I used my product, it did become clearer. I had less acne and softer skin.

carmie26 says :

Hi dexter,

I have been using Dr. Kaufman’s soap and unfortunately it doesn’t whiten skin. There are two types of Dr. Kaufman’s soap, the yellow one is sulfur and the white variant on the other hand is deodorizer. The benefit of both soaps are, they both are medicated soap designed to kill germs and great to avoid and improve skin infections such as acne, ringworm, fungal infections and other skin irritations. The only downfall of this soap is that, it could easily dry out your skin and it could make
    your skin a little red when used too much.

Richie Mogwai adds :

Unfortunately, Dexter, this soap will not whiten your skin, it is meant to reduce skin blemishes such as acne and pimples by balancing skin moisture. Over time though, it can potentially reduce dark spots as moisture becomes evenly distributed on the face. The main reason for dark spots is that part of the skin is not getting enough moisture. I recommend you use Ly-Na Pearl Paste Cream if you really want to whiten your skin.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3114021421520228/k2311a0214/2.14.11