E.D. Marshall Jewelers  » Jewelry  »
2.5
10261 N. Scottsdale Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85253
  • Like a lot of other people in these tough enonomic times, I've had a bit of a cashflow problem
  • So I thought I might sell some jewelry to make some extra cash
  • I decided to start with some vintage stuff

• by Petese

Like a lot of other people in these tough enonomic times, I’ve had a bit of a cashflow problem. So I thought I might sell some jewelry to make some extra cash. I decided to start with some vintage stuff: coral (which is outlawed and growing scarce) and old SW turquoise & silver jewelry. Really beautiful stuff, though admittedly not everybody’s cup of tea. If you see this stuff in shops or online, they want the earth for it, so I thought it might be easy to sell. Wrong! After researching and calling antique and vintage shops, I got nowhere (the one place that was willing to buy offered next to nothing).

Then I noticed a commercial for E.D. Marshalls Jewelers. I’m sure you’ve seen it. It starts out with a lady stating emphatically, “I wanted to sell my jewelry, but not for SCRAP PRICES (capitals added by author - take note)”. I looked on their website and SW turquoise jewelry is listed as something they’re interested in buying. Then I called and asked and was told

“we don’t know until we see it”. Fair enough. I loaded up my vintage pieces and ventured into Scottdale.

Now, I’m not complaining at all about our treatment. On the contrary, we met privately with a very nice man named Eric, who was cordial and polite, never made us feel rushed, and actually gave me a lot of good info about selling on E-Bay, etc. He took my pieces to another colleague to see if their E-Bay dept was interested in it (its not the kind of stuff they’d sell in their store, he politely explained), but they weren’t.

I wasn’t particularly bothered by this, because I wasn’t expecting much. What bothered me was the conversation we had after we established they didn’t want my vintage stuff. It took me a little while to get bothered, ’cause I’m a slow burner, but the more I thought about what he said, the more burned I got.

I mentioned to him that I had quite a lot of the gold and ...

• diamond jewelry like they have in their showroom, and said that I might bring some of that down for him to see. His immediate question was, “Are any of the stones a karat and a half to two karats?” Well no, I admitted. Afer all, if I had two karat diamond rings lying around, I probably wouldn’t be needing extra cash. But I did have some lovely and valuable pieces, I said. Eric shook his head at me with a sympathetic smile and said, “We’re not even interested in them unless they have the larger stones, there’s too much of a glut of diamonds in the world market. All we could do is buy them for the gold weight and the gems would just get smashed up and thrown in a bucket.”

Okay. Now remember that part where the lady in the commercial says she didn’t want to sell her jewelry for scrap prices? Well, “gold weight” is the same thing as “scrap prices”. That commercial also assures us that they’ll buy our jewelry for fair prices

so they can stock it in their showroom, and they show a gold bracelet with SMALL blue stones super-imposed over a radiant couple who are supposed to be thrilled to be buying it. Eric went on to tell us that though they do put some of the jewelry they buy (all two karats and up, apparently) into their other location, it was too old-fashioned for their Scottdale store and all that stock is made especially for them.

That’s what made me angry. They didn’t want my vintage stuff, no problem. But they turned up their noses at my fine jewelry without ever looking at it. They’re commercial is a lie, because if they do buy your fine jewelry, it IS only for scrap prices. E.D. Marshalls wants to come off as a place where you can sell your jewelry for better prices than you can get from the guy standing on the corner waving a sign that says “WE BUY GOLD”. But they just have a better advertising budget.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4511021419540328/k2311a0211/2.11.11