Kikkoman Plum Sauce

• by lisastar

My family loves chicken strips, and I wanted a good dipping sauce to accent the chicken strips for dinner. I wanted to find something special and new to make dinnertime a little more fun. And Kikkoman makes an attractive looking plum sauce, well on the grocery shelf anyway. So I bought a bottle of it at the local grocery store.

And later while I was preparing the evenings dinner, I twisted open the lid to the jar to really inspect this wonderful looking product.

The sauce had a very nice rich brownish color and was nice and thick, just how a good dipping sauce should be. And then I noticed a strange smell that seemed to be emanating from the jar, so I took a deep sniff. Wow, how exactly did Kikkoman manage to make a plum sauce that smells like tee tree oil. Yes, tee tree and citrus fruit. I have no idea, but the smell alone kind of totally confused me at that time. So I checked the ingredients list on the side of the bottle. Who would ...

• Kikkoman Plum Sauce
      have known the combination of plum puree, vinegar, ginger and fermented wheat protein would make a strong tee tree smell like this.

I braved the inevitable and dipped a clean teaspoon into the jar and tasted. And to my total surprise, this sauce is completely bland with only a really mild hint of plum taste, completely opposite of the strong smell that rose from the contents in the jar. I was not going to feed my family this product so I ended up throwing the whole jar in the garbage and served the usual honey and barbeque sauce with dinner. I would not recommend this product to anyone unless you are a tee tree fanatic and have a stomach of steel.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2711021419210228/k2311a0211/2.11.11