Russel Hobbes 13897 Electric Kettle
2.0
  • After using the kettle for a while, I became a little disappointed with it
  • Granted, it boiled water properly and was pretty reliable since it did not give me any issues for the whole duration that I used it but at a cost of £34.99, I expected a little more from it
  • I found the cord to be too short and that meant that I couldn't move far from a wall socket, which I didn't like
  • It doesn't look too cheap, but I think that besides the panel that changes color, this kettle does nothing special apart from the basics and is not worth the £34.99 price tag
  • I don't think this kettle is worth the money

• by tolstoy

When I moved into my first house, I made a point of buying the cheapest electrical appliances due to limited cash flow. Most of the cheap electronics lasted a long while, but eventually most had to be replaced. One of my friends owned the Russell Hobbes 13897 kettle and I really liked the way it looked and I therefor got myself one when I needed a new kettle.

The kettle is taller than most of the other kettles I have used before, but it seems thinner to me. It is only available in white, and is a very basic kettle so one may wonder why I chose it over all the rest. To be quite honest the reason why I chose it was not because of functionality, it was because of one feature it has. When boiling water, a panel on the side of the kettle that is normally blue usually changes color to red. This

is a pretty useless feature but it caught my attention nonetheless.

After using the kettle for a while, I became a little disappointed with it. Granted, it boiled water properly and was pretty reliable since it did not give me any issues for the whole duration that I used it but at a cost of £34.99, I expected a little more from it. The kettle has a capacity of 1.7 litres which I find decent. It has a 360 degree cord base and also had a facility for cord storage. I found the cord to be too short and that meant that I couldn’t move far from a wall socket, which I didn’t like.

The kettle weighs next to nothing and it doesn’t take much effort to lift it even when it is full of water. This I found to be a plus since I hate moving around heavy appliances.

Normally I consider chrome or colored kettles ...

• to be the most stylish when it comes to looks, but for a white kettle I found that this does has a nice look.

It doesn’t look too cheap, but I think that besides the panel that changes color, this kettle does nothing special apart from the basics and is not worth the £34.99 price tag. Being white plastic, I found it very easy to keep clean.

I think that in this case, the cost of this kettle is mostly paying for the brand name, instead of the quality of the product. After using this kettle I found that it did the job of boiling water, but I honestly think that the bulk of the money you pay for it goes toward paying for the color changing panel which really isn’t necessary; it’s just a novelty.

I noticed that this kettle boiled water much faster than my previous cheaper kettle. I also liked the fact

that even when boiling, it was not very loud.

In my opinion, this kettle is decent, but not really special. I would not purchase it again unless it was at a cheaper price; I find it very hard to justify the price tag that it has now. It was very reliable, but after a while I got bored with it and wanted to replace it with a chrome kettle instead which I find more stylish. Though the Russel Hobbes has a removable water filter, I found that it would still get clogged up with limescale faster than my cheaper kettle so the filter didn’t work that well either.

If you need an electric kettle, I would suggest you either buy a cheaper kettle which will get the job done just as well or purchase one at the same price as this Russel Hobbes, though sleeker and of higher quality. I don’t think this kettle is worth the money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611021419060228/k2311a0211/2.11.11