Straight Talk Wireless  » Cellular services  »
  • My experience with Straight Talk Wireless has been nothing but positive
  • I found this carrier after trying out several others
  • It’s given me a consistent signal at the best price
  • I have found the debit card method to be the most convenient
  • One problem with the service is that it ends every 30 days instead of on the same date every month

• by Hope Brucato

My experience with Straight Talk Wireless has been nothing but positive. I found this carrier after trying out several others. It’s given me a consistent signal at the best price.

Straight Talk Wireless is a prepaid service that is offered through Wal-Mart. Customers can either buy a card with minutes or have it come off of their debit or credit card every month. I have found the debit card method to be the most convenient.

The set-up works like every other phone or internet company that I have used. When the bill is due it is automatically debited. The only difference is that the bill is paid up front instead of in arrears and the amount stays the same each time.

I use the unlimited plan. My daughter doesn’t talk as much so I have

switched her over to the Straight Talk, All You Need Plan. With it I have no worries about getting a huge bill that I can’t afford. Straight Talk lets her know that minutes are running low. If additional minutes are not added the phone stops working. It’s inconvenient but it keeps my bill in check.

The All You Need Plan is only $30 per month. With it you get 1,000 minutes of talk time plus 1,000 text messages. Also included is unlimited 411 access and 30 MB of mobile web browsing.

I prefer the freedom offered through the Unlimited Plan. The $45 monthly fee purchases unlimited talk, text or picture messages and unlimited mobile web browsing. I also get unlimited access to 411 at no additional charge.

With Straight Talk, I don’t have to ...

• sign a contract. If I switch to the $30 plan one month and then discontinue the service or move back to the unlimited plan then I can do that. No one is going to call me about a fee to get out of the contract and I like that.

The phones range from very simple models that come free with a service plan to $200 smart phones. You can download ring tones and graphics straight to your phone from the Straight Talk website.

To me, the most surprising part of Straight Talk Wireless has been the consistent steady signal. I have to travel a lot for my job. Even though the area is mountainous I have yet to be disappointed with my Straight Talk phone.

The only other provider that comes close to offering this kind

of coverage is Verizon Wireless and there’s a reason for that. Straight Talk buys older 3G network space on the towers used by Verizon. You still get great connectivity at about half the price.

One problem with the service is that it ends every 30 days instead of on the same date every month. If you expect the bill do be due on the first it may be due on the 30th of the following month. Customers need to allow for this before setting up the service.

Multiple month service plans are also available. Cards for 3 months, 6 months or longer are available and may be a great idea for students.

After trying several cell phone providers I have to say that Straight Talk has been my favorite. I have no plans to try another company any time soon.

Straight Talk Wireless

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2211021419020228/k2311a0211/2.11.11