Tesco Value Electric Kettle
  • When I first moved into my house, one of the very first things I bought was an electric kettle
  • At £4.78, the price of this kettle, I think that even no matter how tacky the kettle is, it is still a bargain
  • This is a very basic kettle, but it was convenient for me and it did its job well
  • Personally, I found that it took forever to boil water
  • This is a very basic kettle but I would recommend it any day

• by tolstoy

When I first moved into my house, one of the very first things I bought was an electric kettle. At that time, I was a little strapped for cash and therefore I opted to buy the cheaper electronics first to get going and then later, when money became available, I would gradually replace them with more quality goods. My first ever kettle was a Tesco Value jug kettle. At £4.78, the price of this kettle, I think that even no matter how tacky the kettle is, it is still a bargain.

This is a very basic kettle, but it was convenient for me and it did its job well. With this particular brand of electric kettle, there wasn’t much of a choice when it came to colour, it was only available in white. The kettle is

a bit taller and thinner compared to other kettles. Its actual dimensions are: 26.4cm height, 23.7cm width and 12.9cm depth.

It is a cordless kettle and has a maximum capacity of 1.7 liters. It has a long thin transparent part on its side which is graduated and is used to show how much water is in the kettle.

It is a very lightweight kettle and felt a bit flimsy. At that price, I was surprised to find that it had a limescale filter in its spout. The limescale filter is rather essential in a kettle especially if you live in an area with predominantly hard water as I do. The kettle is marketed as a rapid boil kettle. Personally, I found that it took forever to boil water.

I had this kettle for a year ...

• before I decided to replace it with a chrome colored kettle in order to match the rest of my kitchen. Even at that point and with regular daily use, the kettle was still working very well and it had never had any electrical problems whatsoever. It had to be descaled a number of times but apart from that, it required no maintenance apart from cleaning it once in a while.

The water came out of the spout evenly and at good speed. It was not too slow and neither was it so fast that it caused spillage. It also has a very large and easy to grip handle. The kettle does not have a very sleek design and looks pretty cheap but when you consider its price it really is very good value for money.

When I bought it I didn’t expect it to last very long before blowing up, but a year later it was still working and the only reason I replaced it was so that I could get one that matched th rest of my kitchen.

It comes with a decent instruction manual which I think is unnecessary because all you have to do is plug it in. It has a plain simple design, but it does a very good job which is all that I cared about. One thing I liked about it is that it wasn’t too noisy while boiling either, though it took longer than other kettles to boil the eater. This is a very basic kettle but I would recommend it any day. It is exclusive to Tescos and can also be found at Tescos online shop.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611021418980228/k2311a0211/2.11.11