Preuss Pet Store and Supplies
1127 N. Cedar Street Lansing Mi 48906
  • In all my time and experience around animals I have not ever had the pleasure of stepping into a shop as well done as Preuss Pets
  • I like to test pet people (you could say it's a fault) and I haven't been able to resist asking a few questions I already know the answer to just to see how well they know their stuff
  • The birds are happy and healthy, and what I love most is the respect the store treats their animals with
  • Many species are actually bred and raised by Preuss staff which is truly amazing

• by Lacy Pearl

I have been involved with the pet industry for over sixteen years. I have worked and managed a pet store, a grooming salon, and several riding facilities. In all my time and experience around animals I have not ever had the pleasure of stepping into a shop as well done as Preuss Pets.

Located in Old Town Lansing, it’s more like a trip to a zoo than an average pet store. It’s obvious to me they care completely for the well being of their animals and that the customer who takes one home with them will have a happy, healthy family member for years to come. They have their species laid out in the store in a wonderful manner with professional staff there to answer any question you may have.

Preuss Pets has all types of small and large birds in very clean, airy

cages. I’ve never been in the bird area without seeing at least two or three employees, feeding and caring for them. I always have a polite very educated staff member ask me if I need help. I like to test pet people (you could say it’s a fault) and I haven’t been able to resist asking a few questions I already know the answer to just to see how well they know their stuff. They are tops. The birds are happy and healthy, and what I love most is the respect the store treats their animals with. Birds can be quite sensitive, Preuss asks that you don’t go through their large birds without a staff member to assist, and they insist you do not put fingers in their cages. This is as much for the well being of the bird as ...

• it is for a customer.

When it comes to the aquarium section of their store, it simply doesn’t get better. People come from all over to get their high quality fresh and salt water fish. Many species are actually bred and raised by Preuss staff which is truly amazing. This allows a client to take home a healthy, hardy fish to acclimate to their tank. There are always quite a few staff members in this section of the store also, and they are always polite and ask if I need any help any time I’m there. I like that they mark a lot of the fish with stars if they’re good for beginners. They have tons of choices, from Betta bowls, on up to huge tanks for salt water.

The reptile and small animal area is always as clean as the rest of the

store. One of my favorite things next to how knowledgeable all the staff is, and how polite they are, is how clean the store is. Every few shelves, in particular where animals are, there are large containers of hand sanitizer. Very important for the health and well being of anything being handled. There are experts that can answer whatever you need to know about their small animals or reptiles.

And as with the rest of the store they offer variety more akin to going to a zoo than a typical pet store. You won’t walk in and want to plug your nose, big bonus. Often we go and just walk around on a Sunday afternoon, thinking about what pet we may bring home when we’re ready for a new addition. I hope Preuss Pet Store stays in Lansing for a lifetime!

URL : www.preusspets.com

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2910021418460628/k2311a0210/2.10.11