Battlefield: Bad Company (Game/PS3)
  • Against my better judgement, though, I decided to buy Battlefield
  • The shooting mechanics by themselves are really well done, in my opinion, as my bullets always seemed to go where I wanted them to, and don't move as slow as slugs like in many other games
  • Despite being a pretty standard military shooter in terms of locations and what not, the game manages to feel distinct in that I don't think I would ever confuse it for another game if I were to see it in action
  • I think this is in large part due to the Frostbite engine that allows for real time destruction of the game scenery

• by Redeyedfacade

I have never been a huge fan of military style first person shooters. For the most part, I do not get the appeal of using real world like scenarios involving war as fodder for games, I just don’t think those real world war scenarios would be any fun to be in regardless of anything.These shooters usually follow the same archetype: gritty action, gritty visuals, lots and lots of gratuitous violence that really can’t be justified in the context of the game at all. Against my better judgement, though, I decided to buy Battlefield: Bad Company because it had gotten pretty good reviews, and was cheap enough to buy without feeling like I may have just wasted my money. To my surprise, the game actually does away with a lot of the fluff found in other military shooters, and actually injects a healthy amount of humor into the mix. The story, while nothing to write home about, is genuinely charming and funny at times. The gameplay is rather solid, with easy to learn gun controls and commands, though it really doesn’t do anything other games

have not already done. The graphics and general feel of the game somehow manage to feel distinct, and this is probably through the use of clever destruction physics that allows you to blow out walls and destroy much of the scenery.

The story isn’t so much your typical military shooter fare full of world ending scenarios and overdramatic characters that act as if what they are doing is the most important thing anyone on the planet is doing. The story follows Bad Company through war torn Europe as they strive to take home as much loot as they can get their hands on. The whole thing is presented to you with a lot of humor, and even in instances where things take a decidedly more serious tone, the game never seems to take itself too seriously. A lot of the humor is tongue in cheek, and the jokes usually come short and fast, so I tended to miss some the first time through. The story isn’t anything that would win any awards, but compared to the more overly serious games hat it shares a ...

• genre with, it is a real breath of fresh air.

The gameplay, as in all Battlefield games really, is very tight and responsive. There is very little to no input lag, so the cross hairs always move just where you want them with the speed you want them to get there. Along with the tight aiming is a really well designed movement system that allows you to go from walking to running, then back to walking, very quickly and without all the illusion of momentum in a lot of games today. The shooting mechanics by themselves are really well done, in my opinion, as my bullets always seemed to go where I wanted them to, and don’t move as slow as slugs like in many other games. While this doesn’t seem like a big deal, it can be a game breaker in a lot of instances, but this game does it very well.

The graphics are pretty good, but nothing that will blow your mind. Despite being a pretty standard military shooter in terms of locations and what not, the game manages to feel distinct

in that I don’t think I would ever confuse it for another game if I were to see it in action. The game just has a very distinct look that really permeates through all the other aspects of the game. I think this is in large part due to the Frostbite engine that allows for real time destruction of the game scenery. You can see small chunks of the levels falling apart of completely blown off, and these things change all the time. You could play through the same section twice and get whole different areas of destruction. It adds a lot of replay value too, as the destruction allows for varying ways of going through any given section.

All in all, I liked this game. I don’t typically like this kind of shooter, and it is not a game that really blew my mind at any point, but it was consistently fun and never really got frustrating. Sometimes a well designed game that isn’t mind blowing can be more fun than the big budget blockbusters, and this is just the case with Battlefield: Bad Company.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 289021417780328/k2311a029/2.9.11