Amazon Kindle 2nd Generation  » Electronics  »
  • I must say that I was more impressed than I thought I would be

• by K. Angel

Being an avid book addict –who as a child could manage to read 3 YA (young adult) books a week- I was very skeptical of the Amazon Kindle. There’s nothing like living with a home library, where you can have books at your disposal to open and smell whenever you have the urge. (To most people this may seem absurd but true book lovers know what I mean.) Besides that, nothing beats holding a real book in your hands, and turning a page when you’ve finished the last word that it holds. Not many a thing can bring more joy than flipping open a book to uncover your greatest treasure: a fancy bookmark (whether gold-plated, leather, or paper), holding your place in a grand adventure that you’ve embarked upon.

When my sister was given an Amazon Kindle as a gift, I had the chance to try it out and see how it worked. I must

say that I was more impressed than I thought I would be. I can see how anyone who lives in an apartment or who doesn’t want a house full of books (and the clutter that goes along with a crowded home library) would get a lot out of the small reading device. It’s compact and can fit practically anywhere, and can hold many very thick books in less than a half inch width of space. I now find myself eager to take advantage of the Kindle’s conveniences, since it’s getting harder and harder to find space in my bookshelves for more books.

I find the Kindle easier to read than websites and e-books that I’ve downloaded to read on my computer screen. It fits nicely in my hands, and the next page/previous page buttons are placed nicely on the sides of the device. My main complaint is that image files fit the screen; ...

• when it’s a large picture, it shows up tiny on the Kindle. This makes graphic novels very hard to read since the entire page is a picture file, and it causes the dialog balloons to be very small on the screen. However it’s an easy fix if you have the Kindle Mobile App which allows you to zoom up on the picture; the Kindle for the PC/Mac also makes reading graphic novels easy, as you can view them on your computer screen.

Right now the Kindle doesn’t offer color pictures, but I’ve discovered that it doesn’t mean the kindle books don’t have color. If you download the books to your PC or mobile versions of Kindle you can see that many of the books (with pictures) do have color. That gives me hope that Kindle may be able to someday sport pictures and pages in full color, which I look forward to seeing.

For anyone

who loves to read, I do encourage you to buy a Kindle. Chances are you’ll be happy with what it has to offer-which is lots of books in a little amount of space. If you can’t find your favorite book available on the Kindle, then Amazon.com has a button on the book’s info page that allows you to make a request for the book to be added to the kindle library. The book isn’t always added when you make the request, but I’ve actually had a book that I requested become available on the Kindle, so it doesn’t hurt to try.

And another great thing: there are actually lots of classics and other books that have been added to the Kindle free of charge. I’ve added Oliver Twist, Beauty and the Beast, The Legends of King Arthur, The Time Machine and War of the Worlds to my library without paying a thing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 169021417190228/k2311a029/2.9.11