The Joy Luck Club (Play by Repertory Philippines)
  • What more, we had just celebrated the Chinese New Year and I thought this would be a good way to cap the celebration
  • I’ve read the book and watched the movie and enjoyed both
  • The play, for me, is the least enjoyable of all three forms although it was still definitely good
  • The best thing about the play for me is that it manages to make the audience emotional, especially the mothers and daughters who can probably relate to the relationships being portrayed on the stage
  • If you would like to enjoy the story of the Joy Luck Club, I would recommend reading the book or watching the movie, although I have to commend the Repertory Philippines for portraying the story on stage as best as they could

• by The City

Just yesterday, I watched the play Joy Luck Club by Repertory Philippines at the Greenbelt Onstage. We got very good seats, fourth row from the front and right at the middle. If you’re going to watch a play at Greenbelt Onstage, this would be the perfect spot. A ticket costs P800.

Joy Luck Club is one of my all-time favorite stories and I was looking forward to the play. What more, we had just celebrated the Chinese New Year and I thought this would

be a good way to cap the celebration.

For those not familiar with Joy Luck Club, the story is of 4 mothers and daughters, and the misunderstandings and bonds between them. I’ve read the book and watched the movie and enjoyed both.

The play, for me, is the least enjoyable of all three forms although it was still definitely good. The actors were very good, given that there were some really emotional scenes, and that as with Chinese, every intonation and gesture and stance adds a lot to the ...

• meaning of what is being said or not said. The costumes were perfect, you just have to give credit for the outfits that were right on the money. The stage design was simple, but effective. The best thing about the play for me is that it manages to make the audience emotional, especially the mothers and daughters who can probably relate to the relationships being portrayed on the stage.

What I did not like about the play was that I felt it was a bit long, and

there were some moments that did not catch my attention and some I had a hard time understanding. It’s not one of the few plays that catch my attention from start to end. Also, compared to the richness of the book and the movie, I found it lacking.

If you would like to enjoy the story of the Joy Luck Club, I would recommend reading the book or watching the movie, although I have to commend the Repertory Philippines for portraying the story on stage as best as they could.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 599021416191228/k2311a029/2.9.11