Emerald Garden Chinese Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
1.5
1F Roxas Blvd., Ermita Manila, Metro Manila Philippines
  • My family and I used to dine here at Emerald Garden Chinese Restaurant, it was known for being the best Chinese restaurant just right across the U
  • Also I noticed that when they were serving us tea before eating there was a single grain of cooked rice that was on one cup of tea, and I was so disgusted that I didn’t drink any tea at all
  • We had ordered some Yang Chow fried rice for all of us and I thought it tasted really, really bland
  • It looked really delicious, but it’s just a bland deceiving bowl of rice
  • All in all I wouldn’t really eat here or agree that we dine here again

• by jbs

My family and I used to dine here at Emerald Garden Chinese Restaurant, it was known for being the best Chinese restaurant just right across the U.S. Embassy in Roxas Boulevard and it opens early too. We haven’t eaten here for almost a year since we had renewed our visas and we decided to dine here for dinner just last night. There are two places, the Emerald 1 and Emerald 2. The old Emerald 1 was actually renovated and new and much bigger than the Emerald 2 but they are very close to each other and just like a hop from one place to the other.

The Emerald 2 was new and everything seemed to be spotless and clean. There was no foul odour and the waitresses were quick on their feet to seat us and take our orders, but a little too quick on their feet that not one cracked a smile or even said good evening but the introduction was “What’s your order?” Sure they were busy since it was a Saturday night but a perfunctory smile would do. They were quick to take our orders and serve them but it seemed they had no emotional quotient in them. Also I noticed that when they were serving us tea before eating there was a single grain of cooked rice that was on one cup of tea, and I was so disgusted that I didn’t drink any tea at all. I only imagined how dirty and how careless they would be in washing their utensils and I was about to eat dinner here, so I tried not

to imagine things before eating, I’d deal with that later, but after only seconds my father noticed there was a piece of noodle on one empty serving cup that was supposedly been just washed off and cleaned, it was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen and that was two strikes in a row. I vowed never to eat here again, ever. I didn’t care whether the place was packed and they had survived how many decades in the business but it seems that the quality is getting dirtier and dirtier! Not only that but there were no tableclothe to cover our laps and the tissue was so scarce and the towelette was so thin and it was served after we ate! The towelettes and tissue should be served and placed there, service was really lousy here.

Ok, so the ambience was ok good thing, there were lots celebrating birthdays and belated Chinese New Years and birthday parties and the atmosphere was bright and the place and chairs and tables were clean and honestly had passed my standards, but those two events with the dirty cups had turned me off so bad that I really vowed not to eat here again, honestly, after a long time of not eating here and trying lots of new and cleaner Chinese restaurants, I would honestly say this place was an old crumbling restaurant trying to restore it’s dignity. The food really wasn’t good anymore, honestly my mother and our 30-year veteran cook at home can do better than that!

We had ordered some beef with broccoli, which was a ...

• good serving size and there were plenty of beef but they tasted so fake and they tasted like they had been injected with tenderizer and emulsifier. The broccoli was good and the sauce was very tasty but the beef just tasted 100% fake. Just looking at it before taking a bite already warned me that it will taste fake, and no surprise, it did.

We had ordered some salt and pepper spareribs and this time I’m glad this dish was good. This dish was the only one I ever liked amongst all. The spare ribs had some hard parts but some were really soft. The large dish was really plenty and it wasn’t too peppery nor too salty but just right.

We had ordered some Yang Chow fried rice for all of us and I thought it tasted really, really bland! Had it not been for the egg, green peas, and adobo toppings there would have been no flavor at all. The colour was right, slight yellow that doesn’t look fake but just seeing the fried rice made me hungry but I guess appearances are deceiving. It looked really delicious, but it’s just a bland deceiving bowl of rice.

We had also ordered some sweet and sour pork and this was not the best I’ve tasted, but it’s not that bad either. I’d rate this dish a 7 out of 10 and it’s just your average sweet and sour pork dish; the sauce is very tasty yes but the colour is quite hideous, like it’s old and it’s a dark orange, which is supposed to be medium

orange, and the pork pieces are quite soft; a safe dish.

We had also ordered some soup with quail egg and I was surprised it didn’t taste as bland as it looked. My other family members had added soy sauce but to me it tasted good enough and it was very delicious-smelling.

We had also ordered some noodles and I was appalled by the presentation! It looked like the noodles had just been dumped into this very small plate that I’m grateful no noodle strands were hanging and dangling, it looked very gross! I still ate some noodles because it was necessary and it tasted average. The meat pieces there as usual tasted fake, and I couldn’t understand why it tasted like emulsifier. The sauce was tangy and flavorful but the sauce was too watery for me.

All in all I wouldn’t really eat here or agree that we dine here again. Honestly Luk Foo is tons better than this place, even Mann Hann is tons better, and they’re much cleaner too and more accessible. Emerald Garden just isn’t the place to be anymore and I feel bad that they take their cleanliness and quality for granted. The food isn’t great and it’s all just so-so and average and even less than average, and the service of their staff is so robotic you’d think if they were enjoying their job at all they’d better be off resigning and looking for another job somewhere. This restaurant used to serve really good food and have clean utensils but now I’m sorry to say I’m pretty much disgusted by it. Won’t dine here again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 77021414521128/k2311a027/2.7.11