Ciao Baby Italian Restaurant
204 Jericho Turnpike, Commack, New York 11725
  • I have been hearing a great deal about Ciao Baby lately from friends, so when my Italian boyfriend who is in the Air Force came to Long Island to visit me, I decided that this would be the perfect place to take him for a nice dinner
  • I have to say that this appetizer was exceptionally delicious
  • My boyfriend's dish looked amazing as well, I was almost jealous that I hadn't ordered it
  • This dessert was absolute perfection, it really was beyond delicious and I enjoyed it immensely
  • The prices are somewhat high, but the portions are so large that you will definitely have enough left over for lunch the next day

• by Violet

I have been hearing a great deal about Ciao Baby lately from friends, so when my Italian boyfriend who is in the Air Force came to Long Island to visit me, I decided that this would be the perfect place to take him for a nice dinner. Let me start out by warning everyone who is reading this and plans on going there: do not bother to make reservations because they do not honor them. Regardless of whether or not you have reservations you will wait the exact same amount of time. I do not understand why they don’t just admit that they don’t take reservations as opposed to wasting everyone’s time by taking down your name, phone number and time. The place was packed when we arrived at around 7:00 PM on a Saturday night and we had to wait

about an hour, regardless of the fact that we have reservations for 7:15 PM.

They claim that this is the type of place that will take you back to the good old days when everyone was treated as if they were family and good, homemade cooking was all that mattered. I personally don’t remember those days, but even if I did, this place did not remind me of them. I will say that the classic Italian music was great, with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin playing throughout our meal. The place is decorated very casually, with the main focus being placed upon the quality of the food. The service was not very attentive, but there were no major incidents to speak of.

For an appetizer, we ordered the Baked Clams Oreganata, which was a dozen whole clams topped with Oreganata bread crumbs in

a lemon and butter white wine sauce. I have to say that this appetizer was exceptionally delicious. The clams tasted very fresh, as if they had just been caught earlier that day. The bread crumb topping was tasty and the white wine butter sauce was absolute perfection. This appetizer was also very affordable, priced at only $12. I was told to steer clear of the fried calamari appetizer, which I would have originally chosen, due to the fact that it is served very greasy. However, if you like greasy calamari, then go for it.

For our entrees, I selected the grandi ravioli bolognese and my boyfriend selected a meal called Gemelli con Salsiccia. My ravioli dish was absolutely great. The raviolis themselves were enormous and they were filled with plenty of ricotta cheese stuffing. The dish is served over a beef ragu ...

• Ciao Baby Italian Restaurant
      that has a very hearty flavor to it. My boyfriend’s dish looked amazing as well, I was almost jealous that I hadn’t ordered it! It featured crumbled sweet Italian sausage, mushroom and broccoli rabe tossed in a sun dried tomato cream sauce and served over twirled macaroni with ricotta cheese. I don’t even particularly like sausage, but this sausage had an excellent flavor to it. The tomato cream sauce was wonderful, extra creamy and delicious tasting.

Dessert was one of the best parts of the meal, so I recommend attempting to save room for dessert. I ordered the Ciao Baby Volcano, which is their signature dessert. It features a large milk chocolate shell filled with layers of chocolate and vanilla ice cream and oreo crumbs, topped with toasted walnuts, berries and chocolate sauce. This dessert was absolute perfection, it really was beyond

delicious and I enjoyed it immensely. My boyfriend, being the typical Italian that he is, ordered a cannoli for dessert. I found it interesting that you can choose if you would like your cannoli in a chocolate or vanilla shell.

The food is really the best thing at Ciao Baby, seeing as the atmosphere and service are just okay. However, the food really is delicious and makes the crowds and long wait worth it in the end. The prices are somewhat high, but the portions are so large that you will definitely have enough left over for lunch the next day. They do have a three course meal for $29.95 per person which is offered every day except Saturday, the day we went of course. They also have a wine special on Wednesday, ten dollars for unlimited wine tasting with your dinner.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 77021413451028/k2311a027/2.7.11