Aquablue Passion Flower Dichroic Weight by Glass Eye Studio
  • I think that is amazing, because I have a few other GES pieces that are no longer being created
  • I really don't know, but this is a piece that I bought in Orbit Gallery in Manayunk, PA
  • They sell all kinds of interesting glass pieces like mini perfume bottles, paperweights, glass candy, and glass teapots
  • If you love the ocean, then I recommend that you take a look at this piece on the Glass Eye Studio website

• by Lisa Pellegrini

This piece is fifteen years old, and yet Glass Eye Studio is still creating it. It is featured on their website. I think that is amazing, because I have a few other GES pieces that are no longer being created. I guess they were either limited-edition pieces, or they were styles that were around for a while before GES finally decided to discontinue them. Maybe they were not big sellers like this Aquablue Passion Flower paperweight, and GES wanted to make room for new styles they were creating.

I really don’t know, but this is a piece that I bought in Orbit Gallery in Manayunk, PA. They sell all kinds of interesting glass pieces like mini perfume bottles, paperweights, glass candy, and glass teapots. From what I can remember, I think this paperweight was reasonably priced back then. I think it was somewhere in the $30 range and maybe even less.

I never even knew that this was a flower paperweight until I saw it featured just now on the Glass Eye Studio website. It is

an egg-shaped paperweight that is two and a half inches high. It has four blue petals inside it, but I did not realize they were petals until now. I always thought they looked like ocean waves. In the center of the paperweight, there is a large bubble that is surrounded by smaller bubbles. The petals are turned inward towards the bubble. In between the petals and the big bubble, we see various shades of yellow, green, and aqua. That is the part of the paperweight that is known as dichroic glass, and it looks iridescent as the light reflects off of it and as you turn the piece from side to side. This is really the highlight of the piece, because that iridescence gives the piece extra depth and brilliance.

It’s because of this iridescence that this paperweight looks more like waves thrashing around than flower petals, especially since the sparkles of color are turned inward. So each petal looks like a tidal wave that is headed toward the big bubble in the center. If ...

• you love the ocean, then I recommend that you take a look at this piece on the Glass Eye Studio website.

Maybe GES sees this as a flower that is just starting to open up, and that’s why the petals look curled inward. The bubble is probably supposed to represent the center of the flower. I just don’t know where the iridescence fits in. It seems like it makes more sense as an ocean scene, since light reflects off of the rippling waves. That’s where all those glittery shades of aqua and yellow-green come into play. The yellow is a reflection of the sun against the water. That gives the paperweight a feeling of warmth.

I guess GES would not mind if their customers visualize their pieces differently from the way they do. I think if you restrict yourself to seeing it the way the studio sees it, then that takes the fun out of owning the piece, because it keeps you from using your own imagination when you look at it. After all, art is

supposed to be a personal thing, so everyone looks at a work of art differently. I always find it stimulating that when I look at a paperweight, the sky is the limit, and I am free to dream up any kind of scenario for the piece that I can come up with. Whatever it looks like, that’s what it is to me.

Of course, you can always say that this looks like a cross between a flower scene and an ocean scene. Maybe someone dropped a flower in the ocean, and it got carried out to sea while it was in the midst of blooming. The waves came crashing down over it.

If you would like to see for yourself what this Aquablue Passion Flower Dichroic Weight looks like, then you should go on the Glass Eye Studio website. The photo is a little small, but it will give you some idea of what the piece looks like. I recommend it as a gift to a paperweight lover, because it is intriguing and can take on different meanings.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 464021411771228/k2311a024/2.4.11