Red Flower Paperweight by Glass Eye Studio  » Gifts  »
  • I bought this paperweight at a store called People's Pottery in Willow Grove, PA many years ago
  • It was a store that sold handmade jewelry and collectibles, but unfortunately, they closed down since then
  • Glass Eye Studio creates some interesting paperweights, and I have bought a few GES pieces over the years
  • I thought it was pretty enough to attract someone's attention, and yet none of the customers were interested in it
  • So that's why I think this piece is worth the $80 that I spent for it

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I bought this paperweight at a store called People’s Pottery in Willow Grove, PA many years ago. I used to work in that particular branch, although there was a bigger and more beautiful People’s Pottery store in King of Prussia, PA. The Willow Grove store was a mini version of it. It was a store that sold handmade jewelry and collectibles, but unfortunately, they closed down since then. Glass Eye Studio creates some interesting paperweights, and I have bought a few GES pieces over the years.

This flower paperweight was in the People’s Pottery window for weeks, and I kept wondering why no one was buying it. I thought it was pretty enough to attract someone’s attention, and yet none of the customers were interested in it. I guess I felt a little bad for the poor piece, because no one wanted to give it a home! So when I heard that the store was going to be closing down, I decided to put the piece aside and buy it for myself. With my employee discount, I think the paperweight came to about

$80. Without the discount, it cost about $100.

This is one of the more expensive GES paperweights, of all the ones that I have seen. I think that is because it’s bigger and more unique in style than the other GES paperweights I have purchased in the past. (Although I only have a few others, so I don’t have that many to compare it to.) It is about three and a half inches in diameter, and the shape is very unusual. When you look straight down at it, it is round. But if you look at its profile, it is not a perfect sphere. It has a somewhat flat surface, and the edges are rounded. The scene inside the paperweight is a single red flower that looks painted, and yet the petals look so real.

I love the painted green stem, because it doesn’t look like a typical stem. It is wiggly like a snake, so it has the look of movement. That’s always important to me when I buy a paperweight. It keeps the paperweight from looking dull. Extending from the stem are ...

• painted leaves that are also wiggly and wild looking, and a few of them are curled at the ends. So it looks like GES really had a lot of fun creating this piece, because this is a lively flower. But then below the flower and leaves are little bubbles. What I really love about this piece is that it is reversible. Sometimes I display it right side up, but other times I turn it upside down and display it that way. I am able to do that, because the top of the piece is flat, so it will stay put and not topple over.

But here is the key feature that I love about this piece and my major reason for turning it over. When I display it upside down, it looks like a flower that is sitting at the bottom of a pond, because now the bubbles are ABOVE the flower. Also, the back of the flower is actually prettier than the front, because the edges of the petals look like a purplish magenta color, and the center of each petal

is white.

So I bet GES didn’t even realize that this paperweight could be reversible when they created it. I feel like I got two paperweights for the price of one. So that’s why I think this piece is worth the $80 that I spent for it. (Ordinarily, I think $80 is a lot of money for a paperweight.) This is the only paperweight I have that I can turn upside down and display a different kind of scene. And even though the piece is signed “Glass Eye Studio” underneath, the signature is only faintly visible when I display the paperweight upside down, because the glass is clear.

If you visit the Glass Eye Studio website, then you will notice the wide variety of glass pieces they carry, from paperweights to pumpkins to votives. (I notice that pumpkins are a popular theme for some of the glass artists out there.) GES offers a lovely selection of themes and color choices for their glass pieces. So if you need to shop for a person who loves art glass, then the GES website is a glass lover’s paradise!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 464021411721228/k2311a024/2.4.11