Papermate Flexgrip Ultra ballpoint pen (medium point)  » Other  »
2.0
  • One of my LEAST favorite pens is the Papermate Flexgrip Ultra ballpoint pen (medium point)
  • Last is the simple fact that it isn't even a very attractive design to me

• by Laura Gordon

As a writer, I go through a lot of pens. I hand-write novels, so it is important to me to find a pen that writes well, is comfortable, and doesn’t glitch. One of my LEAST favorite pens is the Papermate Flexgrip Ultra ballpoint pen (medium point). I only write with these pens if I absolutely have to. Why:

First of all, they are uncomfortable to use. They are straight and hard, and the built-in grooves near the tip that are designed for

grip so it won’t slide around have sharp edges and only cut into your finger and leave a brand. When you do as much writing as I do, this is actually painful. And the pen itself is a thin enough utensil that it has a similar effect where it pushes against my thumb. The smaller circumference concentrates the pressure on a smaller area, and leaves the effected area on my thumb extremely sore and tender.

Next up is the way this pen writes.

• When new, it does a decent enough job. But as time goes on, the ink seems to age. It comes out with a dryer quality, sometimes even flaky. This makes it harder to charm out of the pen, and lends to an overall inconsistent quality when I’m writing. Sometimes it dispenses, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it’s smooth, sometimes it leaves my sentences looking scratchy, as if there was sand on the paper when I wrote them.

Last is the simple fact that

it isn’t even a very attractive design to me. I look at it and am not attracted in the least. I don’t want to pick it up and use it. Obviously this is not as important, but for me it still comes into play. The one good thing I can say about the design is that it’s unique. It is eye-catching for that reason, and makes it easy to find right away in the pen aisle for those who are fans of this brand.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 124021411571128/k2311a024/2.4.11