Acer Aspire One Laptop  » Laptops  »
  • I find it a very convenient device - it's very light, meaning that I can carry it anywhere I want to go and I don't have to have a big bag to carry it around in the process
  • Although it's small size is a plus, it becomes quite a disadvantage at times
  • Another issue I have with the Aspire One I got is the operating system
  • I would recommend this to anyone who needs a cheap laptop that gets basic work done while at the same time being small and light
  • All things considered, I believe that this laptop gives you value for money and more

• by tsikhanya

My mom bought me an Acer Aspire one Running Linpus Linux yesterday. For those not in the know, the Aspire one is a netbook. I find it a very convenient device - it’s very light, meaning that I can carry it anywhere I want to go and I don’t have to have a big bag to carry it around in the process. At $250, it’s also very cheap. I generally find it an improvement from a laptop mainly because of it’s size and weight.

Although it’s small size is a plus, it becomes quite a disadvantage at times. The 10.1 inch screen isn’t very friendly for watching movies, for instance (you may have to squint a bit sometimes). Also, while reading or writing very long documents, one has to keep scrolling up and down since a very small percentage of the

document is shown on the screen at any one time especially if it’s a long document. Reading, for example, PDF books can be tiresome as you constantly have to keep scrolling.Another issue I have with the Aspire One I got is the operating system. It came with Linux (Linpus Linux), though I understand that you can get it with Windows too. The good thing about that operating system is that it’s open source, meaning you can get lots of programs and modifications for it if you want. The major downside, especially if you are used to using Windows, is the fact that you need to learn how to use the operaring system afresh. Installing programs, for example, requires you to do it manually, using command lines. Learning how to use the Linux commands can be tideous, as you have to ...

• do it on your own. The computer does not come with a manual explaining even basic commands. Also, the fact that it doesn’t have a CD drive is not very encouraging. This means that when you buy this laptop, if you need a CD drive you have to buy a seperate external drive. I find this acceptable on some level, since the laptop is very cheap to begin with. However, the prospect of walking around with a laptop and a CD drive is a bit daunting since it increases the risk or losing one or both and is a bit clumsy if you are too mobile.

Apart from these few issues, I genuinely think that the Acer Aspire one is a truly wonderful machine, especially if you are not a heavy laptop user. It is very good at basic stuff like

word and spreadsheet processing, yet does away with the bulk associated with a normal laptop. It’s small size and small processor makes it very efficient in terms of heat emission. It produces very little heat and you can use it for hours on end without becoming too hot. This also means that the processor’s fan is usually spinning slowly most of the time, meaning that it’s also very comfortable in terms of noise production. I would recommend this to anyone who needs a cheap laptop that gets basic work done while at the same time being small and light. If you are used to using Windows, however, I would recommend that you get one with the Windows OS as it will be less of a hassle. All things considered, I believe that this laptop gives you value for money and more.

Acer Aspire One Laptop

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632021409030528/k2311a022/2.2.11