Nokia N95  » Phones  »
  • When I received it, I found that it was a good looking phone
  • Now don't take me wrong, I don't think that the N95 should be summarily written off
  • The hardware, in my opinion, is rubbish but the software is wonderful
  • I know electronics usually lose value fast as new technology is introduced but this phone maintains it's value well and I like that about it (in 2007 it cost about $600, now it costs around $300

• by tsikhanya

I recently acquired a new Nokia N95 mobile phone. Since I had heard so much good stuff about it, and also considering Nokia’s track record of making mobile phones that deliver in terms of quality and function, I was expecting wonderful though slightly dated device. I had never had the opportunity to handle one at that point.

When I received it, I found that it was a good looking phone. All the straight-ish lines make the phone look handsome, a force to be reckoned with. I liked this about it. One thing I didn’t like about it was it’s size - I found it to be a bit too thick. This, combined with the fact that it’s a bit too light for it’s size, made it feel very awkward in my hands. This is because I find a bit of weight (not

too much) in my hands when handling a phone a bit reassuring. The N95 is FAR too light for me. I also have an issue with it’s size. It’s just too big, even for a smartphone. The size of that phone makes it impossible for me to walk around with it in my pocket while wearing a suit because it makes my pocket bulge. So what we have here is a business phone that can only be carried in a jacket pocket or in your hands if you don’t want to look like you’re carrying rocks in your trouser pocket. I found this to be a big negative, and on this account alone, I wouldn’t consider the N95 as a phone for daily use (requiring a lot of mobility).

Apart from that, I find the N95 a bit too plasticky. Though it’s ...

• not, it feels cheap when you hold it in your hands. Like some sort of toy. I wish they’d make the phone with better materials, so that it doesn’t have that feel. This, combined with it’s light weight, makes it feel very cheap indeed. Also, the casing is a little too fragile. I found this out firsthand when I dropped it lightly and it broke the first time. I am not normally a careless person, but I usually like my electronics, especially phones, to be a bit hardy and able to take a beating once in a while. In this department, the N95 failed miserably.

Now don’t take me wrong, I don’t think that the N95 should be summarily written off. Aside from it’s structural issues, I find the N95 to be a functionally sound phone. The operating system, for instance, doesn’t

disappoint at all. Thought the phone supports many services (5MP camera, GPS, Radio etc), the OS handles them with ease and I have never had the software crash or hang for whatever reason. The hardware, in my opinion, is rubbish but the software is wonderful. I also like the fact that the N95 holds it’s value well. I know electronics usually lose value fast as new technology is introduced but this phone maintains it’s value well and I like that about it (in 2007 it cost about $600, now it costs around $300. That’s a 50% drop in 4 years). This is good in terms of resale value, but it also shows that when this phone was built, a lot of work went into it so that it wouldn’t become obsolete. However, if I wanted a serious smartphone, I’d go with the Xperia X10.

Nokia N95

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 372021409020528/k2311a022/2.2.11