Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain by Betty Edwards  » Books  »
  • Never having learned to draw with mastery, I found this book to be very well organized and extremely instructional
  • I soon came to realize I could definitely use all of the methods at some point in my work
  • The most valuable lesson I learned from the book was the fact that drawing is all about perspective and the way to use it properly

• by thims

Learning how to draw is learning how to see things with the proper perspective. Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain by Betty Edwards shows the reader exactly how to properly examine a subject in order to draw it. By using simple methods, anyone can learn to illustrate artistically. Never having learned to draw with mastery, I found this book to be very well organized and extremely instructional. I was given just enough solid information so I could

depict on paper or canvas anything my eye could see. The methods and techniques the author describes were very informative. Learning to simply use every day objects to measure a thing like proportion in my drawings was one of the most valuable lessons the book had to offer. The book is filled with examples of some of the great artistic works of history, and the author was able to satisfactorily show the differences between good work and mediocre or ...

• bad.

One area of the book where the detail seemed blurred was the author’s account of using the brain’s hemispheres. I considered it trite and confusing. The author’s explanation of getting the analytical left hemisphere out of the way so the intuitive right hemisphere could take over seemed a bit tedious. There would have been much more clarity and lucidness if she had used one simple sentence or an uncomplicated drawing example. Emphasizing this aspect imparted irksome details I

just did not appreciate.

A variety of techniques and tools were examined for drawing which I found fascinating. I soon came to realize I could definitely use all of the methods at some point in my work. The most valuable lesson I learned from the book was the fact that drawing is all about perspective and the way to use it properly. The author did her best to drive this point home in an effective way by utilizing very unique and creative illustrations.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171021408730328/k2311a021/2.1.11