Quorn Beef Style Burgers  » Food  »
2.5
  • I think of it as cheap, convenient protein to make up my particularly large quota need of 70-90 grams a day for muscle building

• by Shaun Humphreys

Truth is, I only buy them because they are one pound for two burgers. Thats 22 grams of protein for one pound, cheaper than a couple of cans of tuna. I microwave them in two minutes and serve wedged in a pitta burger.

Quorn is microprotein, made of a type of low fat, high protein fungi. Yes it sounds digsusting, but slap some relish on these babies and think of the convenience of a one pound

burger in two minutes.

Rest assured, Quorn isn’t disgusting so much as its tasteless. Burger shaped,rubber massed,fortified fungi. Small amounts of powdered egg, potatoe and onion add nothing to the taste.

I can manage six of these burgers in pitta and still feel the empty hole in my stomach where taste should be. “Beef flavoured burgers”-there’s nothing resembling beef here.

I think of it as cheap, convenient protein to make up my particularly large quota need of 70-90 ...

• grams a day for muscle building.

So tricky question, do I recommend them. Meat eaters will hate them, vegetarians will delude themselves into liking them. Quorn is a disgrace to a decent burger. Fungi should never be elevated to the centre piece of any meal.

There is a reason they are so cheap. There’s no substance in them. Nothing but fungi and bits of potatoe powder. The packs are so light, I check every time to make

sure there is something other than air inside.

I hope to wean myself off their seductive powers by the end of this week. But this protein consumer is sadly going to the supermarket to get another pack.

Naught points for taste, ten points for laziness, seven points for health-it’s low fat, high fibre and protein rich, making it the closest to a chicken/turkey replacement.

Eat only one day a week. These rubber fungi wheels leave you bloated and gasy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271021408670328/k2311a021/2.1.11