Polysporin Antibiotic Ear Drops  » Medicine  »
  • I visited my Doctor, who wrote me a prescription for ear drops, but when I got to the Pharmacy they told me it wasn't covered by my drug plan and would cost $37
  • Once the Pharmacist had given me the assurance that this stuff would work just as well as the prescription, I decided to buy a bottle
  • This over the counter medication really works well, and I would recommend it to anyone with either Swimmers Ear, or a minor seasonal ear infection

• by Melissa Glenn

The winter cold was affecting my right ear and it felt really plugged up to me. I visited my Doctor, who wrote me a prescription for ear drops, but when I got to the Pharmacy they told me it wasn’t covered by my drug plan and would cost $37. I was horrified! All that money for ear drops. My Pharmacist quickly told me that Polysporin Antibiotic Ear Drops has just about the same stuff as the prescription ear medication for a fraction of the cost. The Polysporin is an over the counter medication, and it retailed for just $9.99CDN plus tax.

Once the Pharmacist had given me the assurance that this stuff would work just as well as the prescription, I decided to buy a bottle. I hadn’t bought Polysporin Antibiotic Ear Drops, or any over the counter medication for my ears

in years and years. I found the packaging had changed; it use to be green but now it is blue. The front of the small box had the word ‘Polysporin in black letters on a yellow background to the right, and then it was blue, showing an outlined ear. The writing on the front of the box said that this ear drop had both an antibiotic and a pain reliever. As I was definitely feeling some pain, I decided this would do the trick.

The active ingredients in this Polysporin ear drop is the Antibiotic Polymixin and the pain reliever is lidocaine hydrochloride. I got the small 10ml plastic bottle of ear drops out of the sealed cardboard box to have a look at it. It’s a clear bottle, showing a semi white liquid. The cap had a further security seal which ...

• made me feel really good. When I did finally manage to break the plastic seal, I saw that this small bottle of ear drops has quite a long spout, or reach into the ear. Surely this would be easy to use.

To my suprise, it was quite difficult getting the ear drop forumla from the small bottle into my ear! I squeezed and squeezed on the small bottle, which was made of very hard plastic. I shook it, and shook it, and then squeezed it again. Finally I felt a small ammount of liquid go into my infected ear, and it didn’t feel cold or gooey, as I had the ear drops at room temperature. In fact, it almost immediatly felt quite soothing.

It took quite a bit of squeezing to initially get the Polysporin Antibiotic Ear Drops into my ear! The box

said I had to repeat 3-4 times a day and initially I was dreading the re-applications due to how hard it was to get the stuff out! The next time however; I did find the medication flowed a little quicker into my ear, but not so quick as to overfill my ear, which I hate. Maybe I just had to work the plastic bottle in for a bit.

A week after using this Polysporin Antibiotic Ear Drops 3-4 times a day, I am happy to report that my Doctor said my ear infection is completely gone, and I have experienced no ear drum scarring or damage. This over the counter medication really works well, and I would recommend it to anyone with either Swimmers Ear, or a minor seasonal ear infection. Polysporin is manufactured by the Johnson & Johnson group of companies.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2631011408260531/k2311a0131/1.31.11