Lilac Crystal Cat by Larson
  • So naturally I love to collect cat figurines, whether they are made of crystal or clay or what have you
  • I have some interesting cat knick-knicks in my bedroom, and they come in varying shapes and sizes
  • I like that Larson created the cat in that style, because it really makes the cat look like a modern sculpture
  • And I think it's cute the way his tail is pointing straight up in the air
  • I don't think this crystal cat is long-haired, because his tail does not look fluffy

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I am a cat lover, and I’ve owned a couple of cats over the years. So naturally I love to collect cat figurines, whether they are made of crystal or clay or what have you. I have some interesting cat knick-knicks in my bedroom, and they come in varying shapes and sizes. This crystal cat is one that I spotted in a gift shop in Cape May over ten years ago, and I knew I had to go over and take a look at it because of the unique color. I tried to locate the website for this company called Larson, who created the piece. But I cannot find it, so it is all very mysterious. It would have been interesting to see what other kinds of pieces they had in stock.

This crystal cat is about three and a half inches tall, and it looks like a cross between lavender and pink (maybe a little deeper). That was what I loved about it when I saw it. I had never seen anything like it before, and I don’t have anything else like it in my collection.

And the shape of the cat is very unusual, too, because it’s almost

like a freeform shape. It doesn’t have two paws and two feet. Instead, it has a bulging body, so it looks like a fat cat that eats too much and needs to be put on a diet! He has two tiny indentations for eyes, and it looks like the crystal was pinched together to form his nose. His four legs are slightly carved, but not completely. In other words, his body and legs are all one big chunk of crystal. His four legs are just carved enough so that you can see that they are four distinct legs. So his four legs look like those balloon pants that you see clowns wear. They billow outward, so that really makes this cat look chunky, no matter what angle you look at him from.

I like that Larson created the cat in that style, because it really makes the cat look like a modern sculpture. And I think it’s cute the way his tail is pointing straight up in the air. It reminds me of Walt Disney’s story “The Aristocats,” and how the mother cat Duchess was very classy and always held her tail straight up in the air and then ...

• curled the end of it. She said that was the proper way for a cat to hold its tail. And I think my own cat used to hold her tail in the air when she walked around.

So this crystal cat makes me think of those times. This cat does have some similarities to my own cat. It has a nice full body like my cat, except that my cat had long fur. I don’t think this crystal cat is long-haired, because his tail does not look fluffy.

This is the kind of piece that cat lovers would love, especially if they like fat cats. I like the clever way that Larson made his body and legs one piece of crystal rather than taking a more realistic approach and showing us all of his legs. That would have made me worry a little more, because then the piece would have been more fragile. It would have been more likely to crack or break if I accidentally knocked it over. But this way, I have one thick piece of crystal that probably will not crack as easily if I am clumsy and knock it down.

I like the clean, simple, contemporary lines

of this piece. We don’t get any wavy lines or strokes here that represent the cat’s fur, but this sculpture doesn’t need them. It is lovely and adorable just the way it is. It is one of my most modern looking cat figurines. This is the kind of modern piece that would look great if it were enlarged, and I have said the same thing about one or two of my other pieces. So maybe what some of these companies should do is create some of their pieces in a small and large size. I bet some customers who are die-hard cat fans would buy both sizes. I would not be able to afford that, but maybe once in a blue moon I would splurge and get both.

I really have a soft spot for this crystal cat because of its contemporary but amusing fat-cat look, and also because the color is so appealing. I am calling it lilac here, but I’m not really sure what word does it justice. It is sort of a pale violet that is mixed with pink. Anyway, this is a beautiful cat! This piece was pretty affordable, too. It was only about $45.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4631011408220531/k2311a0131/1.31.11