Glass Squirrel with Acorn by Scott Bisson
  • I think it is truly amazing how intricate the details of his figurines are
  • But then if I look more closely, I notice that his brown body has very subtle striations or lines of deeper brown and light grey
  • That's another feature that I love -- the squirrel's two-toned body (brown and greyish white)
  • Here are the three things that I don't like about this piece
  • I wasn't 100% sold on it, but I bought it because it is rare that I see a figurine of a squirrel holding an acorn

• by Lisa Pellegrini

Scott Bisson is a glass artist who is known for creating very realistic glass sculptures of insects, frogs, snakes, and reptiles. He has even created octopus sculptures! If you google his name, then you will come up with websites that feature his work. I think it is truly amazing how intricate the details of his figurines are. So if you know someone who owns a snake or a frog, then I think they would love to get one of Bisson’s glass figurines as a gift. Or if you know someone who has a career in marine biology, then I’m sure they would appreciate one of Bisson’s octopus sculptures.

So I was surprised to come across this glass figurine of a squirrel in a gift shop called Rare Earth in the King of Prussia Mall. I have yet to see any of his squirrel sculptures online, so maybe this was something new for him. It was a departure from his reptile pieces. I don’t know whether he was just experimenting, or whether this is the beginning of a new body of work for him

(squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and other rodents).

This squirrel sculpture is about two and a half inches tall and about three inches wide. The squirrel is made of brown glass, and he is sitting up and holding an acorn in his paws. It’s incredible how Bisson managed to create each digit in his paws, so it actually looks like he has fingers and thumbs. His feet are the same way. They look like they are webbed, and yet he has separate and distinct toes. He even has a closed mouth that is turned upward, so it looks like he is smiling. He even has blue eyes and black pupils, so they almost look like human eyes. He is holding his tail upright, the way we see real squirrels do.

What drew me to this figurine is the color of the squirrel. He is a lovely, soft shade of brown. It is like the color of caramel, or coffee with milk in it. But then if I look more closely, I notice that his brown body has very subtle striations or lines of deeper brown and light ...

• grey. It is very unusual. His chest is a different color all together. It is a milky greyish white color. That’s another feature that I love — the squirrel’s two-toned body (brown and greyish white).

But what finishes off this piece beautifully is the sight of this squirrel holding an acorn in his paws. It is clever how Bisson made the acorn a dark greyish brown color as a contrast to the squirrel’s light brown body. Personally I don’t understand why he didn’t make his body grey, which is the typical color of the squirrels we commonly see, and make the acorn brown. But I realize that artists always have their own reasons for doing what they do.

Here are the three things that I don’t like about this piece. He looks more like a lizard than a squirrel. I think that’s because Bisson is so used to making reptile sculptures that he incorporated some of those reptile features into this squirrel figurine. Another problem that I have with this piece is that the squirrel’s ears are a bit too small. Real squirrels have slightly

bigger ears. If Bisson had made the ears a little bigger, then maybe it would be easier to tell that this is a squirrel. The tail is somewhat full, so that identifies him as a squirrel, but it’s not as full as it could have been.

I paid a lot for this piece, too (somewhere in the neighborhood of $90 or $100). I wasn’t 100% sold on it, but I bought it because it is rare that I see a figurine of a squirrel holding an acorn. I just think that is a precious sight. And I love the colors of this squirrel. I think they are gorgeous. Overall, it’s a cute figurine, and I do admire the great effort that Bisson put into creating the awesome details in this piece (like the squirrel’s eyes, nostrils, and toes). I only wish the animal looked more like a squirrel!

I think squirrels are like owls. They are both underrated animals, because not too many people seem to like them. But I think they are both cute, and they should both be used more in glass art.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4631011408180531/k2311a0131/1.31.11