Cub Scouts  » Other  »
  • We discovered a grist mill, we enjoyed the zoo, we toured an operating farm, visited the State Capitol and even had a Cinco De Mayo celebration

• by Julee
      From 1995-2003 I participated in the Boy Scouts of America’s Cub Scouting program. It was the best time of my life. I had two sons involved and found myself having to volunteer as a Den Leader because they were learning great things I wanted to be part of: tall tales, building bridges, how an airplane flys, magic tricks, painting and more!

I volunteered as my second son’s Tiger Cub partner and we hosted one event. This program introduced us to our community.

We live in Salt Lake City and our Council offers a book on places you can visit and earn a patch. We discovered a grist

mill, we enjoyed the zoo, we toured an operating farm, visited the State Capitol and even had a Cinco De Mayo celebration. It was a great family activity every week and we really loved being part of our community.

We progressed to the Wolf Den where we still participated in the patch earning opportunities, but also discovered Day Camp, Winter Camp, and a sense of accomplishment. We moved on to the Bear Den where we stretched our imagination with tall tales and learning the importance of chores. We did the patch earning items, learned how to use a pocket knife.

Went to day camp and winter camp.

• Finally we became Webelos Scouts. This was my favorite den.

We learned about different bridges and built some of our own out of blocks and sugar cubes. We learned about Jan Van Eyck and painted the Cystine Chapel lying on our back like Michelangelo! We committed to chores, built birdhouses out of wood and lived an adventure on a camping trip in our backyard. Through all this, we gave back to our community.

We did service projects, raked leaves, took part in a “We’re against Crime” Pack meeting. We met a senator. Had guests from the zoo who brought animals to us! We did service projects for

the 2002 Olympics.

We gathered food for the hungry. Cub Scouts charge a registration fee, and a monthly or weekly dues typically. The monthly/weekly dues goes directly to your Pack and helps cover the expense of awards, outings and other activities.

You can subscribe to Boy’s Life, which is a great magazine filled with real life stories about other boy scouts, cartoons and learning activities that is delivered right to your home. The program is diverse and will help your son, brother, nephew, any young man learn to value himself, his community and his peers. The Cub Scout program has my stamp of approval.

Call your local Council today and find out how you can be involved!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 122203140630431/k2311a0322/3.22.07