Lidl Supermarket  » Shopping  »
Lidl, High Street, Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire LN12 1DP United Kingdom
  • The other thing I love about Lidl is the non food items they sell
  • The aisles in the middle of the store are filled with all sorts of interesting and exciting items
  • The only downside of shopping at Lidl is the check out experience
  • For budget shopping, especially if money is tight, and for produce that is mostly of good quality, I would recommend Lidl

• by Annabel Roy

Living in a village I have a choice of where I shop. I mainly use Morrisons, but on occasion I use Lidl in my nearby coastal town of Mablethorpe on the Lincolnshire Coast in the United Kingdom. The store has recently been refurbished and is now has a light and airy feel to it. The aisles are wide and this gives a feel of open space.

As with all Lidl stores the one at Mablethorpe is laid out in a warehouse style. There are no shelves as such and the items are stacked up in open cases. Many of the products are not English so you often have to look at the picture on the tin or packaging to decide what it is you are buying. However the items are usually labelled by the Lidl staff. Despite the items coming from other parts of the world, they are a lot cheaper

than some of the bigger supermarket.

Lidl fruit and vegetables are of good quality and do last a long time. Their cherry tomatoes are particularly good. I have bought them and kept them in the fridge and they have still been as fresh as the day they were bought, 3 weeks later. Lidl red onions are also brilliant, I’ve kept these for months and they have still been good.

Most of Lidl frozen food is much cheaper than your average supermarket, however I do find that some of it is not such good quality, but then I am fussy about my vegetables especially peas, I can not stand hard peas and the cheaper ones are always hard.

Chilled items such as cold meats, yoghurt, puddings, pastries are all very good. As are Lidl chilled meats. Most of their beef products are sourced in Scotland and it is good quality. Beers wines and spirits ...

• compare well with other supermarkets, often being much cheaper, but you do need to be selective as sometimes you could end up paying more for some wines and spirits. They stock a large variety of personal and oral hygiene products which do work out much cheaper. There is also a large selection of breads, cakes and pastries.

The other thing I love about Lidl is the non food items they sell. The aisles in the middle of the store are filled with all sorts of interesting and exciting items. These change from week to week, but cover almost everything. Cloths, children and adults, sports wear, office equipment from desks down to paper, fishing tackle from rods to hooks, electrical goods, musical instruments, diy items, rugs, mattresses, garden items from compost to garden forks. Over the weeks they sell everything you could think of.

I have bought office furniture from Lidl and

even though it was flat packed which is normally a nightmare, it was much easier to put together and much sturdier and cheaper than it’s counterparts. I have also bought DIY equipment which again is much cheaper but just as good as the more expensive ones.

The only downside of shopping at Lidl is the check out experience. I always feel very rushed. The cashiers don’t seem to give me time to unload my shopping trolley and the speed they pass items through the checkout give me very little time to place them back into the trolley. There is no way I would have time to pack my shopping into my own bags and as an older person it does take me longer these days.

For budget shopping, especially if money is tight, and for produce that is mostly of good quality, I would recommend Lidl. Just remember to be quick at the checkout.

7hereviewer gmail.com says :

re : The other thing I love about Lidl is the non food items they sell
    I know what you mean. They really do have amazing stuff. For example, women lingerie or even school stuff, like pencils, notebooks, glues, but even stuff like mixers and drills and tools can easily be found there and they are not even expensive. I sometimes even by pants there, because most of the non-food items I ever bought there were pretty good so I always trust them with new stuff.

7hereviewer gmail.com says :

re : The only downside of shopping at Lidl is the check out experience
    You are right, and also the cash desks don’t even have those parts in the back where you can put the stuff that you’ve bought so you really feel rushed and even ill-saw by other people, especially the person after you whose bought items are pilling and mixing up with yours because there is just not enough space. In every other supermarket they have those long desks where your stuff can rest until you put it in the bags. i was always wondering why Lidl doesn’t have those.

Sally says :

re : For budget shopping, especially if money is tight, and for produce that is mostly of good quality, I would recommend Lidl
    There are always so many interesting and useful items for your household. I bought a painting set with 12 brushes last week.The price was unbelievable.

teresa says :

Exactly, what differentiate Lidl from others is that their own brands, be it food, or tools, clothes… have products of higher quality when compared to others.

Amber says :

I completely agree The non-food items are usually very cute and useful

Angela says :

I like shopping at Lidl because it is super affordable, and sometimes better than going to the grocery stores that I normally go to. I shop there mostly for snacks, and frozen treats.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2430011405750131/k2311a0130/1.30.11