Flower of Scotland Paperweight by Selkirk Glass  » Gifts  »
  • I bought this paperweight at a local gift shop called Ashley Avery Collectibles
  • Well, I am just now doing some interesting research on it
  • I think it's a little strange that Selkirk chose those colors for the ground, because I don't think they normally would go with the purple and green
  • This is a stunning piece, and I love the fact that Selkirk put so many gorgeous details in it
  • So owning this paperweight has been an educational and pleasurable experience for me

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I bought this paperweight at a local gift shop called Ashley Avery Collectibles. I have had this piece for about ten years now, and I never knew what kind of flower this was or what the name of the paperweight was. Well, I am just now doing some interesting research on it. Underneath the paperweight are the words “Flower of Scotland.” Selkirk Glass is a Scottish art glass company that creates handmade paperweights, and this piece is a glass creation of Scotland’s celebrated flower. That is the thistle.

No wonder the flower in the paperweight is purple, and it does look somewhat like a thistle. This round paperweight is about three and a half inches in diameter, and it is made of clear glass. In the center of the paperweight is a single flower (thistle) with a big bubble in the center and tiny

bubbles surrounding the thistle. Connected to the thistle is a vibrant, deep green stem. Beneath the thistle are leaves in the same gorgeous green color. The thistle is planted in the ground, but the ground in this paperweight does not look like brown soil. It looks something like the gravel that you would find at the bottom of a tropical fish aquarium. It is a patchy looking red and sky blue pattern that is very unique and attractive.

I think it’s a little strange that Selkirk chose those colors for the ground, because I don’t think they normally would go with the purple and green. But because the pattern is so splotchy and you basically see just little bits of red scattered all over the blue, it works somehow. It pulls the whole scene together very nicely so that it helps to make the paperweight look complete and visually appealing. And besides, I don’t have any other paperweights with gravelly looking aquarium-type bottoms.

I also find it strange that Selkirk put a bubble in the center of the thistle, because thistles do not have open centers like that. Thistles have long, thin, prickly looking petals like the needles of a porcupine. But of course this is Selkirk’s own artistic interpretation of a thistle, so I will respect that.

This is a stunning piece, and I love the fact that Selkirk put so many gorgeous details in it. I like the fact that the thistle has two different shades of purple incorporated into it — lavender and violet. I love the jewel-toned green color of the leaves and stem. It really is a radiant, eye-catching shade of green. I think it’s also interesting how Selkirk made the leaves a sheer ...

• Flower of Scotland Paperweight by Selkirk Glass
      and wispy wash of green that almost look like they are hovering in thin air below the flower. I think one of the most impressive characteristics of this piece is that everything in it looks magnified. It looks like someone went up to a thistle flower and zoomed in on it with a special kind of camera. That’s why I think it is appropriate that Selkirk made it a larger or medium-sized paperweight rather than a small one. This way I can appreciate the large details in it better than if the paperweight were small.

If you google “Selkirk Glass,” then you will find a few websites that carry Selkirk paperweights. I noticed some in the $140 and $150 price range. I don’t remember how much I paid for mine. I believe I got it at a discounted price, but I must say

that I like mine better than the ones I saw online. The reason for that is because my paperweight has an actual scene of something — a flower. The paperweights online just look like fancy, decorative paperweights. I look at each piece and I ask myself, “What is it?” I look at my flower paperweight, and I immediately know that it’s a flower.

I feel truly honored to own a paperweight that is a tribute to Scotland’s flower. I never even knew what Scotland’s flower was until today. So owning this paperweight has been an educational and pleasurable experience for me. Now when I look at it, I will regard it as a labor of love rather than just a creation of any old ordinary flower. So I will make sure that I take good care of it and display it in a special place in my home.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4628011405261131/k2311a0128/1.28.11