Cloisonne Miniature Teapot with Birds
  • I think it's because I saw how popular they were in the gift shops in my area and even in Cape May and Atlantic City, NJ, where I go on vacation
  • I thought they were so cute, and I liked the idea of taking an object like a teapot and shrinking it down to a mini size
  • So now I have about 30 teapots, and they are made of all sorts of interesting materials -- metal, cloisonne, glass, clay, and even jade
  • I bought this cloisonne mini teapot in the Moreland Gift Shop, which was located in a strip mall near my home
  • And that's why this is the best cloisonne teapot that I own

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I started collecting miniature teapots about ten or more years ago. I don’t remember what motivated me to start collecting them. I think it’s because I saw how popular they were in the gift shops in my area and even in Cape May and Atlantic City, NJ, where I go on vacation. I thought they were so cute, and I liked the idea of taking an object like a teapot and shrinking it down to a mini size. So now I have about 30 teapots, and they are made of all sorts of interesting materials — metal, cloisonne, glass, clay, and even jade!

Cloisonne is a method of decorating metal pieces with enamel. I bought this cloisonne mini teapot in the Moreland Gift Shop, which was located in a strip mall near my home. It was a lovely little shop that carried interesting trinkets like glass figurines, decorative wall hangings, Halcyon Days enamel boxes, and of course mini teapots. Moreland was one of my favorite shops. Unfortunately it closed down a few years ago, but I have a few teapots that I bought from them. So every time I look at those teapots, I

will think of Moreland.

I have a few other cloisonne teapots, but this one is the best of the bunch. It is about four inches long and about three inches tall. The scene on it looks like a night scene, because the background is deep blue. On one side of the pot, there is a cardinal that is perched on a branch. On the other side, there is a bird that looks like a goldfinch. (He’s a yellow and black bird.) Both of the birds are singing joyfully. It looks like this may be a Christmas scene, because there are big red flowers or plants here that almost look like poinsettias. And it also looks like there is snow on the ground, except it’s not white. It looks more like pale blue.

The enamel on this cloisonne teapot is really lovely, because some of it almost has the look of watercolor paints. The night sky looks like a gentle wash of color even though it is deep blue. The red looks thicker and more striking. I like the intricate gold rope design that I see in cloisonne pieces like this one. Here, it outlines the ...

• objects and birds, and I think that’s one of the things that makes cloisonne pieces so unique and fancy looking. I like the fact that this teapot has a variety of colors in it (pale blue, deep blue, red, yellow, and even some green in the outdoor foliage).

But for me, what really makes this piece special are the birds. And that’s why this is the best cloisonne teapot that I own. The birds bring life to the piece. None of my other cloisonne teapots have birds or any other animal on them. A few of them have plant life on them, but that is not the same as an animal. Although I must admit that I am not crazy about the way the cardinal was done here. His body has a strange shape, and so does his open beak. I like the goldfinch much better. He looks more realistic and is much cuter.

The shape of this teapot is very unusual. When you first look at it, it looks round. But if you turn it so that the spout is facing you, then you will see that the sides of the teapot are slightly

squared off. So it’s deceiving! But I think that all of these positive features will keep me interested in this piece so that I won’t get tired of it.

I think this is the kind of teapot that would really dress up a kitchen if you put it on the windowsill by the sink. You could do that with any kind of mini teapot, but a cloisonne teapot is a more showy piece because of the gold and enamel design. But thank goodness for those birds. Because if it weren’t for them, I would not be as fond of this piece as I am. I don’t know whether cloisonne pieces are handmade. If they are, then I really have to hand it to the person (or people) who created this mini teapot. There was an awful lot of work involved in creating this piece. The detailing is even on the lid, the handle, and the spout. This kind of teapot would make a great gift for any woman who loves charming little trinkets for the home. If you go online and google “cloisonne mini teapots,” then you will notice a few websites that carry them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4628011405251131/k2311a0128/1.28.11