I Love Lucy (TV series) - Hollywood Anniversary (Episode)  » TV  »
  • Hollywood Anniversary is an episode of I Love Lucy
  • The reason I say it's a little hard to believe is because in the previous season, and in the season before that, there are two episodes, namely Sentimental Anniversary and The Anniversary Present where Ricky does in fact remember the date of their anniversary without any problem
  • The characters suffer selective and rather convenient amnesia in order to make the plot work, and that bothers me a little

• by CirclingCanvas

“Hollywood Anniversary” is an episode of “I Love Lucy”. This episode takes place while the gang is in Hollywood. The plot of this episode is a little hard to believe because in it, Ricky is unable to remember the date of his marriage anniversary. The reason I say it’s a little hard to believe is because in the previous season, and in the season before that, there are two episodes, namely “Sentimental Anniversary” and “The Anniversary Present” where Ricky does in fact remember the date of their anniversary without any problem. Yet in this episode, for the life of him, he can’t remember and neither can the

Mertzes or Lucy’s mother. The characters suffer selective and rather convenient amnesia in order to make the plot work, and that bothers me a little.

Aside from that minor issue, I really like this episode of “I Love Lucy”. It’s got a number of comical scenes, including a scene where cards go flying out of Ricky’s hands as he’s shuffling them after Lucy mentions they have an anniversary coming up. There’s another funny scene that plays out when Lucy’s mother enters the room, and for the first time, Ricky is jubilant to see her and welcomes her warmly and loudly, just to escape Lucy’s questioning about the date ...

• of their anniversary. I also chuckled at the scene where Ricky hides the telegram he requested with the date they were married from the Hall of Records underneath a covered plate of pancakes when Lucy enters the room and he struggles to keep Lucy from lifting the lid on the plate. My absolute favorite moment of the episode and one of my favorite moments of the series though takes place at the end of the episode when Ricky sings to a very upset Lucy at a nightclub and they end up dancing in front of everyone while Ricky continues to sing the “Anniversary Waltz”. It’s a very
        touching scene that combines a beautiful dance, heartwarming lyrics, poignant music and low lighting that ends with a very real display of emotion between the two.

“Hollywood Anniversary” is an episode of “I Love Lucy” that has what I consider a plot hole, and I understand that there was no other way the writers could have made this episode work without the plot hole,, but it still annoys me a bit that the plot hole was needed to make an otherwise great and memorable episode work. That brings the episode rating down to a “9″, but everything else about the episode makes it one that I very much enjoy re-watching regularly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1028011405071131/k2311a0128/1.28.11