Franschhoek Country House
33 Degrees 53′ 59.4″ S, 19 Degrees 6′ 15.61″ E, Main Road, Franschhoek, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
  • Nonetheless, I enjoyed a late afternoon swim in the heated pool as it was uncharacteristically cool for a mid-summer day and worked up my appetite
  • The real experience started when I got to chatting with one of the staff members and I was glad to find that she was very clued up on the history of the place

• by alexd187

My holiday destination choices have become quite deeply considered since I travel a lot lately, and one of the considerations for a holiday destination is the history behind it. There is nothing more fulfilling than visiting a place with staff that like to share information about the history of the place and it makes me come away feeling as if I got full value for my money, no matte how expensive the destination is.

Since I hadn’t been in Cape Town for about two years, going back this time around I wanted to learn more about some of the old traditions that shaped the city to

how it is today. Franschhoek Country House jumped out at me when I was searching for accommodation as it apparently dated back to 1890, having been restored from once being a perfumery. I subsequently made a pre-booking as I would be traveling by plane this time around, so with my $299-per-night Villa Suite ready and waiting for me on arrival, it was nice to be able to just walk in and relax a bit on a bed that looked fit for a king, with its pure white overall appearance and posters that went right up to the ceiling.

Once I was rested and rejuvenated, it was ...

• time to explore and the lounge fire place had me wishing it was winter time, as it really seemed as if it would make for some cozy times during that season. Nonetheless, I enjoyed a late afternoon swim in the heated pool as it was uncharacteristically cool for a mid-summer day and worked up my appetite.

I’m not a fan of exotic foods and don’t have the stomach to try new types of food, but the ingredients in the food we had at the Monneoux Restaurant had enough of the stuff I’m used to, like meat, to have me clean up my plate and then wash

it down with a bottle of sparkling non-alcoholic wine – an alternative to the alcoholic wines they usually serve.

The real experience started when I got to chatting with one of the staff members and I was glad to find that she was very clued up on the history of the place.

Lazing about in the weak sun beside the pool with a clear view of the boutique farm wine lands, coupled with the occasional glance at the Country House design that dates back more than a century had me feel as if I had traveled back in time, giving a whole new experience to my traveling diaries.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3828011404811031/k2311a0128/1.28.11