Herbatint Italian Herbal Hair Color Gel chestnut 4n  » Health  »
2.0
  • It is ammonia free, but still does have mostly chemical ingredients, so it is not really what I would consider to be an all natural product
  • I was happy to see that there is a wider selection of colors available in this brand
  • I thought I had found the perfect product, but then the “permanent” claim went out the window
  • I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have hair that really takes color well (mine does not) or you are ok with the color fading out fairly soon
  • It is definitely better for you than the full-chemical versions of hair color, but for the trade off of a short duration of color, I would prefer that it be completely natural at the least

• by reviewabit

I have been trying out the idea of natural hair color products. Since I dye my hair regularly at home, I’d love to find a natural product that gives me the reliable gray coverage without all he chemicals. I’ve tried a couple of henna products, and while one of them was acceptable, I still want to see if it can be “topped. ” I found Herbatint in a natural food store.

It is ammonia free, but still does have mostly chemical ingredients, so it is not really what I would consider to be an all natural product. I wanted to try it anyway, as it is a permanent color with lower levels of chemicals, and no ammonia. I hoped it would be a good compromise.

I was happy to see

that there is a wider selection of colors available in this brand. Most natural hair color product have a very limited selection of colors to choose from. I chose a chestnut brown.

When I applied the hair color, I was pleased that the box told the truth about the odor– there’s not one. I could actually breathe while I waited for the color to develop. With some ammonia based products, I have actually had to go outside and let the wind blow fresh air into my face so that I would not choke to death on the ammonia fumes coming from the top of my own head.

The things we do for vanity!

When I first rinsed out the color, I did feel that my hair was less damaged ...

• (felt less like a wet mop) than with other permanent products. I was happy with the color, and my hair looked shiny and healthy when I dried it. I thought I had found the perfect product, but then the “permanent” claim went out the window.

Within a couple of weeks, the color had faded out terribly and noticeably. Near my scalp, where my gray was obvious before the coloring, was now obvious again. I had not had this happen with any other product, so I don’t think it was due to my shampoo habits or anything I was doing to my hair.

I was hesitant to put more color on top of it, as I did not know if the chemicals would interact with the ones from the

Herbatint that were already in my hair. I didn’t want to have green or purple hair. Instead of trying to correct it right away, I used a messy temporary color lotion that stays in your hair to cover the gray that was peeping through.

This was very inconvenient, and I was happy when the Herbatint color seemed to be gone completely, so I could just start over!

Obviously I have not tried it again. I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have hair that really takes color well (mine does not) or you are ok with the color fading out fairly soon. It is definitely better for you than the full-chemical versions of hair color, but for the trade off of a short duration of color, I would prefer that it be completely natural at the least.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3427011404381131/k2311a0127/1.27.11