Dragonfly Perfume Bottle
  • But when I went online and looked that up, I found out that Townsend Studio is a photography studio
  • It's a shame that I don't know, because this perfume bottle cost me $100, so it would have been nice to know who created it
  • I bought it at a store called People's Pottery, where I also bought some other glass pieces
  • What I like most about the dragonfly are his wings
  • Well, in any case, I consider myself lucky to own this gorgeous dragonfly perfume bottle, and I am glad that I came across it when I did

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I do not know who created this perfume bottle. Underneath it are the written words “Townsend Studio.” But when I went online and looked that up, I found out that Townsend Studio is a photography studio. There is a glass artist called Milon Townsend who makes glass creations of reptiles and dragons. But my perfume bottle has a glass dragonfly perched on top of it, so I don’t know whether he created that or not. It’s a shame that I don’t know, because this perfume bottle cost me $100, so it would have been nice to know who created it.

I bought it at a store called People’s Pottery, where I also bought some other glass pieces. I knew the first time I saw this extraordinary piece that I wanted to buy it. I did not need to go home and think it over. If I had done that, then I might have gone back to the store and found out that it was sold.

This bottle is about four inches tall. The neck of the bottle is long and slender, while the base is short and round. There is a blue line

that swirls all the way around the bottle, starting from the top of the neck and continuing down to the base. That is the bottle in a nutshell, but the main attraction of this piece is not the bottle. It is the stopper. That consists of a clear glass dragonfly that is almost two inches long, and inside his body is a red and blue glass twisted ribbon pattern. He has those bulging eyes that are typical of real insects. His wings are outstretched, and they are made of frosted glass. The dragonfly is perched on a small, clear glass globe. So the globe is the first part of the stopper that extends from the bottle.

What I like most about the dragonfly are his wings. I love the fact that the studio did not make them stretched STRAIGHT out. They are raised up a little, so the dragonfly really looks like he is soaring through the air. The frosted glass wings stand out from the dragonfly’s smooth glass body, so I think it was wise of the studio to use those contrasting glass types. I think it makes the dragonfly extra ...

• cute, and believe me, that is saying a lot. I hardly ever think insects are cute!

I don’t know what that little globe, or sphere, is doing there. Perhaps the studio just wanted to give this piece some extra dimension and something to separate the dragonfly from the bottle (to raise him up from it). That way, it looks even more like the dragonfly is in mid-air. So they came up with the idea of having him rest on an object. A sphere seemed like a good choice, since decorative perfume bottles like this one usually do have stoppers with round or oval extensions.

I normally do not buy glass pieces that have an insect theme, because I hate creepy crawly creatures and I am afraid of them. But I think dragonflies, butterflies, and ladybugs are the three exceptions. (And bees are a possible exception, because the yellow and black combination of queen bees is striking.) I think ladybugs are cute, and the red and black spotty design on their bodies is pretty. Butterflies and dragonflies make good subjects for glass art pieces, because their wings are so lovely (especially the

patterns and colors on butterfly wings). I don’t have any other dragonfly figurines, so of course I welcomed this one into my home.

The only thing about this dragonfly perfume bottle that I’m not crazy about is the tail. It is not pointing straight out, which is the way I normally see dragonflies’ tails. Instead, the tail is pointing downward a little bit. That seems odd to me, and it doesn’t look quite right. But I guess the studio had a reason for positioning his tail in that way. I don’t think that it ruins the piece as a whole, and it doesn’t take that much away from the dragonfly’s cuteness. As long as he has those frosted wings, I am happy.

It’s a shame that I can’t tell you who created this perfume bottle, because I know that dragonflies are a popular theme in decorative pieces for the home as well as in jewelry and hair accessories. I think they are becoming almost as popular as butterflies are. Well, in any case, I consider myself lucky to own this gorgeous dragonfly perfume bottle, and I am glad that I came across it when I did.

Tal says :

The bottle is most likely from TERRESTRIAL INDUSTRIAL INC and made in Taiwan.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4627011404231131/k2311a0127/1.27.11