Big Lots Discount Store in Tempe, Arizona  » Shopping  »
1036 E Baseline Rd, Tempe, AZ 85283
  • So I made the leap and what I found on the other side of that yawning canyon turned out to be very helpful to my constantly diminishing budget
  • I regularly shop two of the stores in the chain, depending on which is most convenient for me at the time
  • I can't recommend them for atmosphere as they always seem a trifle dingy (if only they were as bright and pretty as their commercials
  • And believe it or not, since customer service is always the trade-off for shopping at a bargain store, I've been pretty impressed by their clerks
  • I'm really into container gardening these days and let me tell you, pots cost a fortune

• by Petese

First of all, I have to confess that Big Lots was around for years before I ever deigned to step foot in it. Then the economy got bad, jobs got lost, and money got real tight! So I made the leap and what I found on the other side of that yawning canyon turned out to be very helpful to my constantly diminishing budget. I regularly shop two of the stores in the chain, depending on which is most convenient for me at the time.

There’s not much difference between them except that one has a furniture

department and the other does not. I can’t recommend them for atmosphere as they always seem a trifle dingy (if only they were as bright and pretty as their commercials!), but they’re usually fairly clean and well-maintained.

And believe it or not, since customer service is always the trade-off for shopping at a “bargain” store, I’ve been pretty impressed by their clerks. I often go with my mom who requires a wheelchair and they have always been very courteous about procuring one for her.

Now, whenever you shop at a discount store, it is imperative that you ...

• are knowledgeable about what stuff really goes for normally. Let’s face it, if you buy a can of soup in a Dollar store that costs 80 cents at Safeway, well, you’ve really only got yourself to blame.

Having said that, they do have some great budget-helping deals: toothpaste, detergent, microwave popcorn, puppy pea-pads (just check out what those go for at the drugstore!), cereal, cake mixes, and my personal favorite: gardening supplies. I’m really into container gardening these days and let me tell you, pots cost a fortune.

But Big Lots always has a great selection of good

looking, cheap containers, not to mention decent potting soil for a lot less than Lowes’. My one gripe is their “Rewards” club.

Shop there about 10 times and you get an extra 20% off your 11th trip. C’mon, why can’t they really make it worthwhile for say, 40%? Also, if you don’t use that extra 20% in 30 days or so, you lose it.

Boo!

All in all, Big Lots is worth your time, and since they carry a little bit of everything, it ought to be your first stop on grocery day or before hitting the home goods store.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2427011403150931/k2311a0127/1.27.11