Lalique Crystal Spinning Top
  • I bought it in a jewelry and gift store in Caesar's Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, NJ
  • I was drawn to it, because I thought it looked like a little umbrella or one of those fancy parasols that women used to carry many years ago
  • Unfortunately I don't see it on the Lalique website now, so maybe the item has been discontinued
  • I think that was what the salesperson called it
  • But Lalique is fine crystal, so I am assuming that I paid about $60 for each top

• by Lisa Pellegrini

To be honest, I was not even sure what this crystal figurine was until I did some research on it a few minutes ago. And here I have had it all this time (about eight years), not knowing what it was! I bought it in a jewelry and gift store in Caesar’s Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, NJ. I was drawn to it, because I thought it looked like a little umbrella or one of those fancy parasols that women used to carry many years ago.

Unfortunately I don’t see it on the Lalique website now, so maybe the item has been discontinued. But I did find it on a website called Replacements, and they carry it in several color choices (clear, emerald green, amber, violet, and turquoise, to name a few). I

really wanted this piece in purple. That was the color that I originally saw it in went I first went to the store. But when I went back on another day, the purple top had been sold, so I bought one top in amber and another one in black. I figured that those two colors would look good together, and they do. They are like Halloween colors when you put them next to each other.

This crystal figurine is very small. It’s only about two and a quarter inches in diameter, and the pattern really does make it look like an umbrella. It is circular, and there is a smaller circle within the larger circle. There are lines that extend from the center of the circles, and those lines continue outward and continue across ...

• the span of the entire large circle. Those lines could represent the metal spokes that hold an umbrella together. The center of the two circles is slightly raised and pointed. There is a short stick-like piece that protrudes from underneath the umbrella. I guess that could pass for the handle, and that’s also what helps to keep the umbrella in place when I put it down. So the umbrella looks like it is lying on its side.

Some people may even think this is a seashell. I think that was what the salesperson called it. It does remotely resemble a sundial shell. So that is one of the things that I like about this sweet little figurine. It is a real conversation piece. It really is adorable as a spinning top, and it is

fun to play with, as long as you do it on a bed or upholstered chair. But I still like to think of it as an umbrella, too. The amber is a nice soft shade. It’s like a warm, golden yellow.

I don’t remember how much I paid for this piece all those years ago. But Lalique is fine crystal, so I am assuming that I paid about $60 for each top. It may have been more than that, but the store might have given me a discount. Anyway, this is a fun little knick-knack to add to your crystal collection, especially if you know someone who collects Lalique crystal pieces that are a little different from the norm. If you are looking for a gift for them, then they might find this piece amusing!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4625011401710231/k2311a0125/1.25.11