Palm Beach Zoo  » Travel  »
1301 Summit Boulevard West Palm Beach, FL 33405
  • In all, I think that putting these replicas in this section was just something the people could take pictures of
  • I like seeing the larger animals, in larger areas

• by sarahdragon26

Palm Beach Zoo is one of those of small, but nice little zoos that covers a relatively small area, but packed with small enclosures and smaller animals. It sits not far off of I-95 in an older place of Palm Beach Country. Unlike the Miami Zoo and the Bronx Zoo, this zoo takes almost no time to walk through, even if you read and look at all of the animals. I was honestly surprised to see that it did get more crowded as the day went on, for the smaller size it was. I had not been this zoo for over ten years, since I was a child, so it was like experiencing it all over again. Some things were different and some things I remembered quiet clearly, from my childhood.

One thing about this zoo is that there are no large animals or enclosures. Pretty small, at least compared to most zoos I have been to over the years. No elephants, zebras, giraffes, etc.

It caters to the smaller animals, like monkeys, otters, etc. I do remember saying to my husband that it actually pained me to see two Black Bears trapped into such a small area, when animals of their size should have a lot of room to move around in. They’re enclosure was the size of my living room, which is a moderate size, but for a bear, it was not big enough. They were sleeping in the shade to get out of the Florida sun. Strangely thou, the one part that I remembered my childhood was the otter tank. And it was still the same as I remembered it. The window that showed the above and below the water, while the otter’s jumped, splashed, and played. I remember being so amazed at them as a child, but my son couldn’t care less. But it was hilarious when we reached a large glass enclosed area that looked like any other swamp area in Florida. I wondered what ...

• was in there, than I saw a large alligator pop his head out of water. When I showed it to my son, through the glass, he ran off. My husband had to grab him. He didn’t like the gator. It made us laugh, thou.

The one part that seemed very out of place for me was the new, at least new to me, section that had to do with the Mayans and Aztecs. At least it looked like it did from the replicas of their pyramids and architecture. In the whole section, there were one two sets of animals. One was a cheetah, which enclosure was very small. I even said to my husband that it was way too small for a cheetah, which should have room to move around. And the second animals were contained in a building. They were bats. That was it. In all, I think that putting these replicas in this section was just something the people could take pictures of.

There seemed to be no other purpose for it. Bats can be found all over the world, but Cheetahs are mainly in Africa, across the ocean from South America. It was nice, but very out of place for a zoo, if there were no other attractions to it. It felt like it belonged in Bush Gardens or Disney World, not a small county zoo.

It was nice to go back to this zoo after not going for some time, but it will be some time before I go again. I would prefer to go to Miami Zoo or even Animal Kingdom, even if it is NOT A ZOO. I like seeing the larger animals, in larger areas. Palm Beach Zoo’s enclosures were too small and too close together that that the animals seemed to uninteresting to my son. He liked the broken tractor and the old car in front of the gift shop better than most of the animals, which was not the purpose of the visit.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3824011401080531/k2311a0124/1.24.11