Summer by Kenzo for women perfume  » Perfume  »
  • I could definitely detect the mimosa first though it was the violet notes that seemed to linger the most when worn
  • The thing I like most about the fact the almond milk is in the heart notes is it makes the fragrance seem less masculine which it was in danger of becoming so with the sharpness of the opening citrus notes, so it was very much needed and welcomed
  • Whilst I am a big fan of Flower because of it's oriental charm, Summer unfortunately seems to not quite live up to it's predecessor which is a great shame
  • It is light enough to be worn with ease during the day but I wouldn't recommend it for evening time as it is just too light

• by ticktock

When you think of Kenzo perfume the one that springs to mind the most is Flower no doubt, but Kenzo are responsible for many other fragrances (mainly with a floral theme) and this ‘Summer’ by Kenzo has been around since 2005 when it was first launched. I have always been a big fan of Flower so when I started working in a perfume store it broaden my horizons in the league of fragrances and I came upon this when a customer ordered a bottle.

The most striking thing about Summer is the unusually shaped bottle this comes housed in. It’s a leaf shape that is on it’s side and gives the appearance this has just fallen from a tree. It’s certainly different, and I must admit it looks visually stunning on first impressions. To access the fragrance there is a lid also on the side, which is in the design of a stem and again is certainly in keeping with the leaf design.

Unsurprisingly the colouring of the glass flacon is a green/yellow and has a real earthy and woody feel to it which when you hear about

how it smells on the skin you won’t be surprised.

The fragrance is made up of:

Top Notes~ *Bergamot *Lemon

The heart comprises of~ *Violet *Mimosa *Almond milk

Whilst the base encompasses~ *Musk *Amber

So how is Summer as a fragrance?

On first applying a small amount to my skin I was instantly taken in by the fresh top notes which comprise of the lemon and bergamot. This first impression is certainly one that conjures up images of warmth and sunshine and does indeed make you think of summer. The zest of the lemon is probably the more dominant of the two top notes and is fresh and striking, whilst the bergamot is more like a welcoming ray of warm sunshine.

The heart notes are far more floral based with the mimosa and violet fighting for prime position. I could definitely detect the mimosa first though it was the violet notes that seemed to linger the most when worn. The almond milk added a warm, nutty vibe that softened the overall appearance of the fragrance. The thing I like most about the fact the almond milk is in the heart notes is ...

• it makes the fragrance seem less masculine which it was in danger of becoming so with the sharpness of the opening citrus notes, so it was very much needed and welcomed.

Finally once the scent has well and truly settled about 1 hour later the earthiness starts to shine through with the introduction of the base notes - musk and amber. Musk can be very oriental in perfumes but when used in the right context it can also give off a warm woody vibe that it does here, mainly because it mingles delicately with the amber and leaves the most wonderful aroma in it’s wake.

Recommended?

This is not the sort of fragrance I would normally go for and I don’t exactly know the reason why. Whilst I am a big fan of Flower because of it’s oriental charm, Summer unfortunately seems to not quite live up to it’s predecessor which is a great shame. My first impressions of Summer were of a citrus filled blast of warmth that slowly fades into something more earthy. There is nothing wrong with that of course but it is lacking in something and

just doesn’t live up to it’s namesake as although it starts out making you think of warmer climates, it just doesn’t make you think of hot sunny weather and to be brutally honest should be renamed Spring.

That aside, it certainly is a very classy perfume that smells fresh and light when applied to the skin and reminds me ever so slightly of CK Summer - so if you are a fan of that then you will no doubt love this. It is light enough to be worn with ease during the day but I wouldn’t recommend it for evening time as it is just too light. Summer by Kenzo is classed as a floral/oriental fusion of a fragrance but I wouldn’t go that far in it’s description. It’s certainly floral, though the almond milk overpowers the flowery heart so I would say its more of a crisp, citrus scent. If that sounds like something you would like then you can’t go wrong.

Age wise this is probably ideal for mid twenties upwards though there are no rules so it’s a case of trying first. It’s nice enough but not for me which is a shame as I adore the bottle.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5624011400710431/k2311a0124/1.24.11