Amber Perfume Bottle by Chatham Glass Company
  • I would imagine that it was around $50 or so, because I know that particular gallery carries some perfume bottles that are in the $100 range
  • What I like the most about this piece is that it looks like a caramel apple
  • But I think the red and amber combination here makes me associate this perfume bottle with a caramel apple
  • I definitely don't think this piece would be as attractive if the stopper were also amber
  • I think these kinds of modern looking perfume bottles would make very interesting housewarming gifts, because I could easily see this piece on a mantel in someone's living room

• by Lisa Pellegrini

One big reason why I purchased this piece was because a local gallery had it in their section of “Half Off” merchandise. But I don’t remember what I paid for it. I would imagine that it was around $50 or so, because I know that particular gallery carries some perfume bottles that are in the $100 range. This is the only piece that I own from Chatham Glass Company. If you go on their website, they have some other perfume bottles that are categorized as “Sculpture.” That will help you find them, in case you go online and look for them.

But I didn’t just buy this because it was half-price. I liked the color combination in this perfume bottle. It is about three and a half

inches high, and the bottle is round and made out of amber-colored glass that looks like it was coated with a milky yellow glaze of some sort. The stopper is a wine or garnet color, and it is very plain. It’s just a thin stopper that is rounded over on top and extends about an inch out from the bottle. The bottle has ridges throughout it. Chatham gave the ridges some movement, because they are in a swirly pattern that continues all the way around the bottle. That gives the piece some life, and when I hold it up to the light, the colors look rich and vibrant.

What I like the most about this piece is that it looks like a caramel apple. I always find ...

• myself drawn to glass pieces that remind me of food in some way. I don’t know why that is. But I think the red and amber combination here makes me associate this perfume bottle with a caramel apple. I think that yellowish white glaze on the bottle makes it look even more like caramel. But I know that Chatham didn’t intend for this to look like a caramel apple, because apples don’t have swirls in them.

I think it was clever of Chatham to make the stopper a different color from the bottle. I definitely don’t think this piece would be as attractive if the stopper were also amber. That would have made the piece look too uniform and a little boring. So Chatham made the stopper

a darker color that goes with amber. That’s what makes the bottle so appealing to look at, along with the swirls that keep the piece looking like it is always in motion.

The Chatham website features other perfume bottles that have different colored stoppers. If you are interested in any of them, then you can e-mail Chatham or call the number that is listed. This bottle that I own is 21 years old. Underneath the bottle, it says that it was created in 1990. So it makes me feel good to know that I own one of Chatham’s older pieces. I think these kinds of modern looking perfume bottles would make very interesting housewarming gifts, because I could easily see this piece on a mantel in someone’s living room.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4624011400560431/k2311a0124/1.24.11