Three White Flowers Glass Paperweight  » Gifts  »
  • This paperweight is signed RMJ underneath, but unfortunately, I don't know who that is
  • I bought it in an art and jewelry gallery that carries some very interesting glass pieces, like sea creatures and contemporary perfume bottles
  • I think that is very cute, and it serves to light up the paperweight because the bubbles look like silver balls, so they give the flowers more dimension
  • I am only disappointed that the glass artist did not sign his or her full name or the full name of the company, rather than signing just the initials
  • Guess I should have asked the gallery owner when I bought it

• by Lisa Pellegrini

This paperweight is signed “RMJ” underneath, but unfortunately, I don’t know who that is. I don’t know whether those letters are someone’s initials or whether it’s the name of the glass company. I wish I knew, because this has always been one of my favorite paperweights. I bought it in an art and jewelry gallery that carries some very interesting glass pieces, like sea creatures and contemporary perfume bottles. This glass paperweight with three white flowers was also available with three blue flowers instead, but there was something about the white piece that I liked so much better.

This round paperweight measures about three and a half inches in diameter, and it is made of clear glass. On one side of the paperweight are two white flowers with four

petals each, and each flower is attached to a black stem. A green leaf is attached to each stem. The two stems criss-cross, and on the other side of the paperweight, we see only one flower that is attached to one of the stems. There is a green leaf attached to the other stem.

So when you get right down to it, this is a fairly plain paperweight that really doesn’t have much of a scene. Well, here is what I love about it. There are three colors in this piece, and they are all different from each other. There is white and black (a bright neutral color and a dark one), and they are offset with a splash of a bright color (green). And I think there is ...

• just enough green to make the scene interesting. I also love the fact that the lone flower on one side is slightly bigger than the two flowers on the other side. The contrasting sizes make the piece more interesting to look at. The white flowers almost look like they are made out of cake frosting! That’s another fun characteristic of the piece. The flowers almost look like icing that someone squeezed on a cake as decoration.

And here is the finishing touch. There is a bubble in the center of each of the flowers. I think that is very cute, and it serves to light up the paperweight because the bubbles look like silver balls, so they give the flowers more dimension. The flowers would have looked flatter if

the silvery balls were not in the center to “dress them up” a little. It is always fun to see bubbles in paperweights, because they always add something lifelike to the piece. I think it’s also cool that when we look at the single flower, we see the magnified backs of the two flowers on the other side and vice versa.

So, for a piece that has such a basic scene, we get an awful lot of detail. I am only disappointed that the glass artist did not sign his or her full name or the full name of the company, rather than signing just the initials. I googled “RMJ,” but there are no glass studios by that name. Guess I should have asked the gallery owner when I bought it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4624011400540431/k2311a0124/1.24.11