Lalique Crystal Rooster
  • I like some of the colors that they use in their collections
  • But I think that's pretty cool how he has that reddish brown glow, and maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is a rooster we're talking about
  • That changes things up a little bit and makes the piece more interesting and unique

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I have collected a few Lalique and Baccarat crystal animal figurines. Their pieces are similar in many ways. I like some of the colors that they use in their collections. At the moment, their website features a lot of black crystal, and that is always very cool and classy. It’s a nice change from buying colored figurines all of the time. There is something understated about a piece of crystal that is a neutral color like black. That is one of the things that I like about this rooster figurine. He is not black, but I still like to think of his color as neutral.

I would almost classify his color as carnelian, if you have ever seen that gemstone.

It is a reddish brown. If I hold the rooster up to the light, his body has a fiery glow. His color is very similar to the color of iced tea. That is a color that I never see (or rarely ever see) in crystal pieces.

But I think that’s pretty cool how he has that reddish brown glow, and maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is a rooster we’re talking about. This rooster does indeed have a kind of aura and a very majestic stance. He is made of frosted crystal, and he has a very short crest on his head. His tail feathers are beautiful, and I think he knows it, because he ...

• is holding his tail upward so that I can actually count all of the feathers. Lalique really did a fine job of cutting the crystal in such a way that the feathers all show up so gorgeously. I think that is the main attraction of this piece.

The other features of this piece that I find fascinating is the way the rooster stands so tall and proud as he puffs out his chest. He is a rooster with an attitude! He looks like he is not afraid of anything. I can even see that fearless, self-loving attitude shining through in his carved eyes. I think it is amusing and admirable that Lalique managed to give the rooster character and personality.

I’m sure that can’t be easy to do.

I also like the fact that this frosted crystal rooster is sitting on a high-polished crystal base that is oval in shape. That changes things up a little bit and makes the piece more interesting and unique. By the way, this rooster is only about two and a half inches high. So I think it’s pretty amazing that Lalique was able to pack so much character into such a small figurine. And I like the fact that the base is small, so it doesn’t take my attention away from the rooster and his magnificent presence! This piece is a true delight to own and display with all of my other crystal pieces.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4624011400480431/k2311a0124/1.24.11