Lalique Crystal Owl
  • I bought this owl in the giftware department of Bloomingdale's
  • They carry some interesting glass pieces (figurines, bowls, etc).
  • But I think this Lalique crystal owl does look realistic
  • I like how Lalique sculpted his feathers in his wings and tail
  • I personally like the amber crystal better than plain clear crystal, but it is still a pretty piece that I would recommend to bird lovers

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I bought this owl in the giftware department of Bloomingdale’s. They carry some interesting glass pieces (figurines, bowls, etc.). Some of them are very modern, so they have a chic design that really pulls you in and makes you want to take a closer look. I have always loved all kinds of animals, so I guess that’s what motivated me to start collecting glass and crystal figurines. And when I saw this owl figurine, I did not have any other owls in my collection. Owl figurines don’t always look realistic, because some artistans end up making the eyes or head too big.

But I think this Lalique crystal owl does look realistic. He is about two inches high, and he was done in frosted crystal that almost looks like the color of amber. He has that nice wide owl

head that is typical of owls, but his eyes are not blown up looking. So Lalique did not get carried away and make his eyes overly big. Whenever I see owl figurines with a massive head and huge eyes, I think that makes the owl look more like a caricature than a real owl. This Lalique owl has a head that looks like it is in proportion with the rest of his body. I like how Lalique sculpted his feathers in his wings and tail. They look soft, and I almost feel like I could reach out and touch them.

The only thing that is a little disappointing about this piece is that Lalique didn’t put any slits or indentations in the eyes to represent the pupils. The owl just has round eyes with nothing inside of them. So ...

• they are kind of empty looking, but otherwise this is a lovely piece. It makes me think of my trip to the Cape May County Zoo in New Jersey, when I saw a beautiful snowy owl. Some people think that owls are ugly, but I think they are cute. I like their little beaks and no-neck look. I can barely see the beak on this owl figurine. It is there, but it is conveyed in a subtle way, so that it’s hard to tell where the beak begins. But I don’t think I will complain about that. His beak is curved just like a real owl’s beak. I think this is an attractive piece, because it definitely looks like an actual owl, right down to the shape of his body. He is plump just like an owl, and
        I think that is one of the traits that makes owls so cute.

There is a clear crystal owl on the Lalique website that is called a “Shivers Owl,” and it looks very similar to the owl figurine that I have. It does not list the price, but if you click on “Store Location,” then that will help you to locate stores that sell Lalique crystal. I think this owl figurine would be a great gift for someone who works in a zoo or simply loves wildlife and especially exotic birds. I personally like the amber crystal better than plain clear crystal, but it is still a pretty piece that I would recommend to bird lovers. I think owls are not appreciated as much as they should be, so it’s nice to see Lalique create a true-to-life owl figurine.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4624011400430431/k2311a0124/1.24.11