Baccarat Crystal Turtle
  • I bought this crystal turtle at a jewelry store that was having a huge sale, and they carried some giftware as well as jewels
  • I think one big difference between them is that Lalique creates many of their pieces in frosted crystal, whereas Baccarat uses smooth (or high-polished) crystal
  • I think it's interesting that he has no feet, and he looks like he has a very short and pointy tail
  • He has softly cut out scales on his back, and I like the way Baccarat made two little indentations for his eyes
  • I don't remember what I paid for it, because I bought this turtle figurine about ten years ago

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I bought this crystal turtle at a jewelry store that was having a huge sale, and they carried some giftware as well as jewels. I always get Baccarat and Lalique confused, because their animal figurines are very similar in size and design. I think one big difference between them is that Lalique creates many of their pieces in frosted crystal, whereas Baccarat uses smooth (or high-polished) crystal. I have not bought any Baccarat or Lalique pieces lately, because I have limited space in my home. I will need to buy another curio cabinet if I buy any more figurines.

I was immediately attracted to this little turtle, because it is made of grey crystal. I thought, wow, that is something that I don’t have, and I will probably not see it very often.

It is a lovely shade of grey, too, because it is soft (like a mousy grey). I can see through the turtle, so I am glad that Baccarat didn’t make the grey any darker. The turtle is small (about two and a half inches long), and I’m glad that he is that petite size. It makes him cute, and it makes him look like a baby turtle. I think it’s interesting that he has no feet, and he looks like he has a very short and pointy tail. He has softly cut out scales on his back, and I like the way Baccarat made two little indentations for his eyes.

I assume that this is Baccarat’s version of a sea turtle because of the little tail. But my question is, if he is ...

• a sea turtle, then why doesn’t he have four fins? That is the way sea turtles look (or at least the ones I have seen). I think it is strange that he has no limbs on his body to help move him along. Maybe Baccarat wanted to give him a contemporary look, so they thought that the less details they put on him, the more modern he would look. Maybe he is hiding his feet under his shell.

I don’t mind that, because that’s what sets him apart from the other turtle figurines that I have. And it gives me something to wonder about whenever I look at him. In my opinion, that’s what makes the piece worthwhile and worth the money that I spent on it — if it leaves things

up to my own interpretation. Maybe he is resting on the sand and is too tired to move. But I know he is not sleeping, because his eyes are open. So the mystery continues! That’s one of the things I like about this piece.

I don’t remember what I paid for it, because I bought this turtle figurine about ten years ago. But considering that he was on sale, I must have spent about $75 for him. I have gone on Baccarat’s website, and they do have a pretty extensive collection of animal figurines, but I don’t see any turtles. Still, if you know someone who collects crystal animal figurines, then it would be worth your time to check out the Baccarat website. They do carry some lovely pieces that would make nice gifts.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4624011400410331/k2311a0124/1.24.11