AOL Internet Provider
1.5
  • I think it is a fear of the unknown and having to change my email address on so many accounts and websites
  • The transfer from dial up to broadband wasn't completely straight forward as the password I had been given by AOL would not work and I ended up having to phone AOL at great cost and ask them for assistance
  • AOL not responding was a classic problem which happened at least once a day
  • I contacted AOL support and after trying endless solutions and spending a load of money on the 0844 number I was told it was a software issue and I would have to uninstall and then reinstall AOL, but in so doing I would lose my internet favourites and other stuff
  • So all in all AOL are not my favourite and I will be changing in the very near future

• by Annabel Roy

AOL, America on Line is one of the top internet providers. I have been with AOL since 2002, I’m not sure why I have stayed with them this long. I think it is a fear of the unknown and having to change my email address on so many accounts and websites. It seems quite a daunting task to change. However in the very near future I intend to do so.

For some years I had a dial up connection with AOL, which was fine for my needs at the time. But in 2009 the price per month for dial up was going to increase and become more expensive, it would be cheaper if I transferred to broadband. So I took the opportunity to change to the broadband service. The transfer from dial up to broadband wasn’t completely straight forward as the password I had been given by AOL would not work and I ended up having to phone AOL at great cost and ask them for assistance. This wasn’t helped by

the fact that I couldn’t run the phone and computer together, which at the time the AOL agent couldn’t understand, as I was unable to connect to broadband, because I had the wrong password. I had to write the information down and hoped that I had taken it down correctly.

At last being connected to AOL broadband was a great deal better and faster than what I had been used to. However since 2009 I have had a fair amount of problems with my AOL broadband. AOL not responding was a classic problem which happened at least once a day. Sometimes it was that bad, I would be unable to exit AOL as the screen froze and I had to shut down the computer and start again. To solve this problem I now access the internet via Google Chrome.

Another problem I encountered was being unable a send email. I contacted AOL support and after trying endless solutions and spending a load of money on the 0844 number I was told it ...

• was a software issue and I would have to uninstall and then reinstall AOL, but in so doing I would lose my internet favourites and other stuff. Basically I would have to start all over again. Not prepared to do this, again I used Google Chrome and set up a Gmail account which allows me to transfer email from AOL and send email with no problem.

The most annoying problem of all is loss of internet connection via the router. This has happened on numerous occasions. On telephoning AOL support again on the 0844 number and at great cost, the reasons have been various and on a couple of occasions even contradictory having been cut off and having to redial and go through the whole thing again with a different agent. On one occasion having spent over 30 mins with an agent I was then transferred to a supervisor who then told me that it wasn’t anything to do with me, it was a problem with AOL and would be resolved as soon as

possible. It was 24 hours later.

The other problem I have with AOL is understanding the agents. They speak very quickly and with strong accents and assume I am a computer wizard and understand what they are talking about. I am not. I am self taught and I’m learning all the time and sometimes I do not understand straight away. The agents seem to become annoyed when I don’t grasp what I am being requested to do, making me feel even more flustered.

Having put up with all these problems, the last straw is in January 2011 the price I am paying per month has gone up by £5, the excuse being the VAT increase (UK) from 17.5% to 20% which took place on 4th January 2011. The actual increase being 2.5% my increase per month by my calculations should be 38 pence.

So all in all AOL are not my favourite and I will be changing in the very near future. If anyone asked me for a good internet provider, AOL would not be the one I recommended.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2124011400210331/k2311a0124/1.24.11