CarMax Norcross GA  » Cars  »
Norcross, GA
  • In theory, I agree with the CarMax philosophy
  • While I love to negotiate with salespeople, I was pleasantly surprised with the low no-haggle price on the window
  • Giving them the benefit of the doubt, and promise that everything would be taken care of, I bought the car
  • Problem was, she bought the car one year ago

• by Brendan Murphy
      CarMax has certainly made a name for itself lately. Its “no haggle” pricing, certified inspection and lending plans is attractive to those wary of salespeople. In theory, I agree with the CarMax philosophy. In practice, however, CarMax has a lot to learn.

I recently purchased a 1999 Audi A4 from their Norcross, GA location. While I love to negotiate with salespeople, I was pleasantly surprised with the low “no-haggle” price on the window. Seemed like

CarMax was for real.

Then everything started going wrong. I chose my car and, just before signing the contract, I checked it to make sure everything was ok. Good thing I didn’t rely on the certified inspection.

The cup holder, center console and, most importantly, brake lights were broken or not working. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, and promise that everything would be taken care of, I bought the car. I left in ...

• a huge minivan, a loaner while my new car was already in the shop.

I was satisfied enough that I would get my vehicle the next day. One week later and several wrong parts ordered, I got my new vehicle. But only after an unpleasant conversation with the manager of the service department.

He was perhaps the most helpful of the staff there, taking personal responsibility. While waiting, I overheard a conversation with a mechanic and lady

by phone. He was attempting to explain, rather forcefully, that the three year warranty she purchased had expired.

Problem was, she bought the car one year ago. Realizing his error, the mechanic blamed the mistake on the computer. I have a three year waranty on my Audi and fear my problems with CarMax may not be over.

Come to think of it, I still have no response from my complaint letter I sent over six months ago. Must be a problem with the computer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91903139920431/k2311a0319/3.19.07