Now Foods Apple Pectin 120 caps
  • I found it quite interesting, but I have learned to do backup research after talking to any salesperson, so I checked it out online and found that his claims were apparently true
  • I decided to try the product, but instead of buying the GNC brand, I went with a brand by Now foods, since I have gotten familiar with their brand through other products
  • The bottle held 120 capsules, but as I read the directions, I found that this is a product that you have to take up to six capsules a day to get the real benefit
  • Although it’s a great source of fiber, I did not experience the filling sensation that I do when taking other supplements, like psyllium based fiber products
  • So, basically I think it is a really good product– but not one that fits in with my own plan

• by reviewabit

I’ve been taking fiber supplements for a long time to help regulate my system and also help with hunger control and weight loss. When I mentioned this to a GNC employee while discussing diabetes supplements, he told me about apple pectin as a source of fiber. Apple pectin contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, and it is known to have a lot of health properties that I had not heard of before he told me. Apparently it is used in traditional Chinese medicine for the prevention of disease– such as colon cancer.

It is known to have beneficial effects on diabetes control as well, I was told. I found it quite interesting, but I have learned to do backup research after talking to any salesperson, so I checked it out online and found that his claims were apparently true. I decided

to try the product, but instead of buying the GNC brand, I went with a brand by Now foods, since I have gotten familiar with their brand through other products.

The bottle held 120 capsules, but as I read the directions, I found that this is a product that you have to take up to six capsules a day to get the real benefit. So, it is not as inexpensive as you might perceive, especially considering that most fiber supplements are not very expensive to being with. I took the apple pectin as directed for about a month.

Here is what I experienced. Although it’s a great source of fiber, I did not experience the filling sensation that I do when taking other supplements, like psyllium based fiber products. I did have a bout of diarrhea from a food indiscretion during the ...

• course– at which time I took extra capsules, and I did find that it helped the diarrhea more than other types of fiber did.

(I have experience in this because of long standing irritable bowel syndrome) As far as diabetes control, my readings were about the same as when I take other kinds of fiber. To be fair, I do think the apple pectin helps with diabetes control– but not because it is different from other fibers. I think that all fiber helps with diabetes control, period, and this is where the claim comes from.

I just didn’t think about the possibility that this was a generalization. I assumed that the claim pertained to apple pectin specifically. The only real benefit that I could see from my month on apple pectin was it’s effect on diarrhea.

For

me, this isn’t enough to justify switching brands. “Mainstream” fiber products have the advantage of being widely available, inexpensive, and come in very palatable forms such as clear-mix drinks, and bars or cereals. Since I already take other supplements to support my health, I don’t feel I need the extra benefits of the actual fruit pectin.

If someone were going to take a fiber supplement but nothing else to support their health, then I would definitely recommend apple pectin, since it offers some antioxidant support and other benefits you wouldn’t get with psyllium. For most of us who take regular vitamins and antioxidants and eat healthy, I think it is much more economical to take psyllium. So, basically I think it is a really good product– but not one that fits in with my own plan.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3424011398840131/k2311a0124/1.24.11